Tuesday, February 11, 2014

YA PO HERE WE GO.

...I'd like to start this letter out by telling you what it means to be serving in Cachapoal. Our building is in el centro, which is great, because we're really close to everything. Internet cafe, food, the chapel. We're also the closest to the oficina de la misiĆ²n, which is great because we get our packages/letters relatively fast. We also have a HUGE sector...twenty minutes en micro (bus) to get to one part of our sector named "Olivar" (I love that place.) It's really fun, because we get to work in a LOT of different types of areas...we've got the city of down-town Rancagua, we've got some shacks, we've got really rural areas, suburbs...it's quite the sector we've got.

We also live in the same building as the Comisarios, Secretarios and Asistentes. That means we've got to watch our behavior...(just kidding. We're always good...but they actually straight-man it up when they think we might run into them. Never know.) That also means that at the end of every transfer our apartment turns into "Hotel Cachapoal"...we have people staying with us over night for transfers, or people who are headed home to their houses, or people with medical needs (the mission nurse lives in our sector, too,) etc. I actually like it usually, because I get to know a lot more of the missionaries, and sometimes I get to see my friends from old sectors, etc. But one of the harder things is seeing the missionaries die. It puts my mission into perspective...we always ask them how they're feeling about going home, and almost everyone says they feel really contradicted...like...they would stay in the mission for another year if they could. For me, I love the mission, and I can't really imagine having to leave yet, because I have another year here! (Lucky me!) But it reminds me to keep enjoying the mission and to work really hard every day so that at the end of my mission, at least I can feel like I did what I could and that God is pleased with my work.

I say that because...CAMBIOS. It's the end of another six weeks, and we got the cambio call last Saturday night. Hermana Kenney and I were pretty uneasy, because we knew she was going to leave. (Gringos never stay together very long.) And........drum roll, please.............WE are staying together!! I honestly was absolutely shocked. I thought for sure she was leaving. That means I'll probably be in Cachapoal for a while, because now it's almost guarunteed that she'll leave next transfer, so I'll have to stay at least one more so that they don't white-wash our sector (...could happen, but I doubt it...)

ANYWAY, we are super excited! We have an Hermana with us right now who is dying tomorrow, so we're working in a little trio for the night. But we are going to start this cambio with a bang! We want to have a lot of success in these six weeks, so we're really going to keep working on helping our investigators progress! Even more!

The other day we got stopped by TWO different people asking us if we'd come teach them in their house. We went by one of them, and it's a girl our age (19) who has a two year old daughter and is living with her boyfriend. She is very interested, and we hope she will keep progressing!

We're also working with a young man who is 17 years old. He's very VERY active in the Catholic church, but he's been coming to church with us for the last month. He's integrated with the youth, he's reading the Book of Mormon, but he hasn't committed to baptism yet. Last night we had a lesson with him where he said that he knew that this church was true. He said that he felt it in our last lesson, and that the last time he walked into our church, he heard a voice that said that this church was the true church of God. If all this is true, we are very confused why he won't get baptized...but we are going to work with him a little more, to see what we can do!

I'm really sorry, but I didn't have much time this week to write...President needed us to go to the mission home to pick up the hermana that's dying tomorrow, so it took a lot of our P-day time, but I STILL LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH AND GOSH DARN IT KEEP READING AND PRAYING AND WRITING ME LETTERS PLEASE I MISS YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Love, Hermana Thomas
Better letter next time. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment