Monday, October 20, 2014

It is Christmas Time for McKenna letter from October 6, 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS

AREN'T YOU HAPPY?!?! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S CHRISTMAS TIIIIIME! JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE ALL THE WAY....(creepy eyes staring at me from down the hall as a Christmas Tree comes hauntingly to life and threatens to suck out my soul...)

Oh, Douglas Fir. RIP.

Feliz Navidad! YAY! Christmas is starting a month early this year! (Yes, you head me. A month early.) I just feel in the Christmas spirit! Plus IT'S PRACTICALLY HERE! :D

But I certainly didn't feel that holly-jolly on Monday...I GOT SICK. Super sick. Like, never-eating-Panda-again sick. It was super schlikin. 

Truth is, it started before the Panda. We were cleaning out the fridge on P-Day and I started to feel a little nauseous, but I just shrugged it off. Then I wrote my letter home, and as we were walking out of the library we ran into the nicest little week-off-her-mission RM who asked if she could take us out to lunch! We were like, YEAH, so we went with her to Panda. She was so nice. Also, she's engaged. (Sent me into panic mode a bit.) But we were so grateful...man, I have been on the receiving end of SO many random-mormon moments, I need to do that for missionaries when I get home. 

Anyway, we went to buy food after, but by that time, I was feeling pretty light-headed and not at all in the mood to be surrounded by food. So we bought a few things, went home, and I just absolutely crashed in bed for like...three hours. IT WAS THE WORST. And I wanted to go out and work, but we called Sister Toone, and she said to take it easy. So I laid in bed for like, another four hours...up all night...no more Panda. The next day I had a fever so we stayed in for most of it again...my poor greenie! Her first P-Day, and she just had to nurse her trainer back to health...but she must be good at it, because we got out to work later that night! Yay!

WAIT. CAN WE JUST DISCUSS THIS FOR A SECOND? Putting aside the whole TB thing, how many times did I write home during my time and Chile and talk about being sick? ZERO. ZERO TIMES. ZERO TIMES ZERO. But pick me up and move me to Tempe Arizona and I'm BEDRIDDEN. And this goes for everything, not just sicknesses, I'm talking bugs I've had to kill, too. I don't think I killed a single bug in Chile! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY COCKROACHES I HAVE COME TO A VIOLENT DEATH AT MY HANDS IN THE LAST FIVE MONTHS?

Back to real news: Hermana Mello and I got into our first fight ever. Thor vs. Loki. I'm sorry, when was this even a QUESTION? LIKE, WHEN WAS LOKI EVER CONSIDERED SOMEONE WORTHY TO BE COMPARED TO THOR...OR ANYBODY? HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING?

So...General Conference happened! Wasn't it AMAZING? I actually got so much out of this Conference. I know I've probably said that about every Conference in the mission, but this time I actually mean it. I was reflecting on why that might have been, and I decided...I have really grown in the last six months. I wish there was a definite way to measure it, but I don't think there is. All I know is that something has undergone an immense change within myself and I was more spiritually mature and humble to hear what the Lord wanted me to hear. It was so amazing! I especially loved the first session of Conference. 

We also watched it all in Spanish...that's right! My greenie watched it in Spanish! And totally understood it. Did I not tell you that she already speaks Spanish? But if you ask her, she'll say, "oh, only un pocito..."....no, no. She's amazing.

SO I HAVE NEWS.

First of all...IVAN GOT BAPTIZED LAST WEEK! (Remember the young man we were teaching, and his less-active cousin in Mesa?) I didn't get to go, but YAY!!! 

Also...Christina is getting married this Friday and baptized on Saturday! I am going to try to get permission to go, but isn't that also amazing?

BUT WAIT. THERE IS MORE. 

The reason I know all of this is because I got a call from the wonderful, lovely Hermana Homer last night! She got permission to call me and discuss the baptism details so that I can get permission to go, but anyway, the point is...on Thursday, in the middle of an MLC, she got a text. When she checked it, it was.....GEORGETTE! GEORGETTE, PEOPLE!! And she said that she was ready to get baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! 

So of course Hermana Homer set up an appointment ASAP to find out what was going on. They met up with her, and I guess that she very tearfully told them that the night before/morning of her baptism, she and her husband had had some pretty big disagreements about her being baptized. It got pretty intense, and in her weakness, she just called the whole thing off. But she told Hermana Homer that as soon as she lost contact with the church, stopped reading and stopped praying, she felt it. She felt dark. She felt empty. And it was such an awful thing. So much so that she knew that she had made a huge mistake, and chosen, once again, a man over God. So that's when she contacted Hermana Homer.

GEORGETTE IS GETTING BAPTIZED ON THE 18TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am going to fight, fight, fight so that I can be there. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS, RIGHT?!?

DON'T HATE ON CHRISTMAS.

Miracles are real!!! My heart seriously exploded from joy when I heard that. Most amazing thing ever. 

"I'm kind of upset that my dream wasn't anatomically correct." --Hermana Mello (she got her leg accidentally chopped off in her dream and there was only one bone in her calf.) (is that how you spell calf??)

"Horse people. Solid." --Hermana Mello (upon seeing three men riding horses through the streets)

"I don't know how I could tell, but I just knew I was turning into a camel, I could feel it." --Hermana Mello (she has weird dreams at night)

"You have, like, a lot of time left.....................................................like, not from my point of view, but from yours." --Hermana Mello (trying to console me as I stew about how much time I have left on my mission.)

"You can give all the birth you want." --Elder Knudsen (don't ask.)

THE CHURCH CONTINUES TO BE TRUE. Don't ever doubt it! Serve everyone! Love everyone! Look to God in everything! KINDNESS IS POWERFUL!

LOVE, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment