Monday, October 14, 2013

Hola...from SANTIAGO??!?!?!

NOTE from HERmama Thomas: We are, of course, worried about the health of McKenna and the other missionaries who've been exposed to tuberculosis! Your prayers are appreciated. We have faith that she is being watched carefully---oh, and I have a call into the Mission President:-).

Yep! I'm in Santiago right now. ¿Por què? Porque.

Let me tell you about my week.

Monday night, we had to make a super unexpected move from La Florida to Jardìn de Valle (the sector next to us.) It was only Hermana Pineda and I, and it's because Presidente Warne doesn't want us to be exposed to the sickness in our casa during the period of time that it's considered to be contagious...so, this week, and I believe the next, we are living in a different casa. We had to pack up all of our things and move out. We're still working in La Florida, but we just have a little longer walk!

On Saturday, I got a phone call from Hermana Jett (the couple misionera in charge of the health of the missionaries) in which she said that we (Hermana Pineda and I...along with seven other missionaries from all over the mission) needed to travel to Rancagua on Sunday night, because we had an appointment at the hospital in Santiago on Monday morning. All 9 of us had been around Hermana Rodriguez (who is very sick) in the last few months, and so we needed to go get some tests done.

Needless to say, I literally saw my life flash before my eyes at this news. (For those of you who do not know, I actually have a severe allergic reaction to pain, needles, blood, etc.) (That was a lie.) (But I might as well have this problem.) (Back-track. When confronted with a needle...or a doctor's office in general...I might as well mentally and emotionally regress to the maturity of a fetus.) (I have a problem.)

Anyway, I almost started crying right there on the phone. But, somehow, I got through it. 

Sunday night came, and we had to pack our things for the night in one of my big suitcases (because I left my little suitcase in the old casa...and we didn't have any other options for an over-night pack!) So we've got this giant, bulky suitcase with both our things in it, along with our backpacks, and off we go to find a bus to Rancagua. We were with Hermana Berbert, who works in Jardìn de Valle. (She's awesome.) 

Anyway, there was a lot of moving around...and a little chaos for the three of us. First, we traveled all the way to the bus station, then we found out that there were absolutely no buses leaving for Rancagua that night. Then we ran to the train station, and we received the same news. Then we almost got back to the bus station when Hermana Berbert realized that she left her bag in the train station, so we went back and forth, and then in the bus station we found out that no one was going straight to Santiago, either. So then we called the Assistants to the President, and they told us to buy tickets to Rancagua for tomorrow morning...so we did. Then we were walking back to the casa when they called again and told us to try to get refunds, because they were actually sending someone to pick us up NOW. So we had to walk back to the terminal, get refunds, and walk all the way to the McDonald's that they told us to meet them at. 

NEEDLESS TO SAY I'm a little bit EXHAUSTED. BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE guess what? It's the life of a missionary! And that's how I got to Santiago.

I was praying so hard in the doctor's office that I wouldn't bawl my eyes out when they needed to give me a shot. I came so close to loosing it a couple times, but I kept praying, praying, praying...and then a miracle happened.

Mom. I didn't cry.

I DIDN'T. CRY.

THEY STUCK A NEEDLE INTO MY ARM AND INJECTED FOREIGN FLUIDS INTO MY CUERPO AND I DIDN'T NEED TO BE HELD DOWN OR ANYTHING. (The fact that I'm sharing this proves that I have no shame. Yep...I've had to be held down before.)

Anyway, if anyone needed to know that there's a God, there's your proof.

ALSO. An important life lesson: thinking about super-gluing your fingers together? Not as fun as it sounds. 

Yeah, that happened this week. I was trying to help Hermana Pineda mend her suitcase, and before I knew it, my entire right hand was burning...for a few seconds, I didn't understand why, but then I saw the clear liquid hardening on my fingers, and I screamed...mostly because my first thought was that my hand was melting...anyway, I had the good sense to keep my fingers separated, so can I get some points for that?

This week, I have understood a ton more that people have said to me! It was kind of a dramatic increase. So I'm super pumped about that! Honestly, I think it's because I've been living with so many different countries. (In Jardìn de Valle, I've got two Hermanas from Mexico, too!) This is really awesome, because I've felt more confident in contributing in the lessons. 

Our investigators this week...hmm. This week was rough. I'm not sure why. I could blame it on the craziness of having to move and having different conferences, etc...but really, we just needed to do something different. It was really hard to find people to teach this week. Our investigators weren't answering their phones, and if we had an appointment, they usually called and asked if we could do a different day...for the most part, I think they sincerely want to keep learning and are just busy...but then that begs the question, how serious are they about learning more?

BUT my faith is still solid. I have faith that we can find a family to teach this week, who has been searching for something that we have to offer! 

All of your letters are a strength to me every week! I dang love you guys. Enserio. I know that this is the gospel of Jesus Christ, restored upon the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith, with all the keys and authority of the priesthood. Every day, my testimony deepens a little more, and so does my enthusiasm to help those I serve to grow in the gospel!

I LOVE YOU GUYS. A TON. I TALK ABOUT YOU ALL THE TIME TO EVERYONE. SERIOUSLY. 

ALSO I'M SUPER PROUD of mah fam for the Book of Mormon read-a-thon! I wish I could do that right now!! Seriously. We never have the amount of time I want to study. It's because we're so busy! I love it!

CAN'T SAY THIS ENOUGH--I LOVE YOU GUYS. 

You should purchase a copy of Preach My Gospel and study it together as a family. This isn't just me saying it. I've read a lot of talks about people's lives changing by studying PMG as a family, personally, before the mission, as well as after...DO IT!

LoooooooOOOOOOooove,

Hermana Thomas
ooxxOXx

No comments:

Post a Comment