Monday, October 28, 2013

¿Hola?

Note from HerMama Thomas: We are still waiting for test results for McKenna. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy her letters as much as we do. I am thankful for her positive, can-do attitude!

¡NachOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyways.

I'm slowly running out of creative ways to begin my emails. So let's just jump right in, shall we?

First thing's first: Dad. No, I haven't had a concert for all of Chile yet. Hahaha yes, some people know that I sing, but I don't want to run around with a big sign saying "PICK ME PICK ME I'M SUPER GOOD" because...because no. :) But President Warne knows that I sing, and so do his Assistants, so if they want me to sing at a conference, I'll gladly do it. I do sing in lessons, though! Sometimes. Every once in a while Hermana Pineda surprises me by telling the person we're teaching that I've prepared a hymn to sing to them. That's when I smile like we planned this, and frantically thumb through the pages until I find a song I know that I know...but the spirit is always there! 

I don't remember if I've already shared this, so here goes: during one of our first lessons with our family of investigators, the mother said that one thing she likes more in her church than ours is the hymns. She said that she doesn't feel anything during our songs. Then her husband told me to sing a hymn in English...I don't know why, because they had no idea that I sing! I was pretty nervous, but I made it through "Savoir, Redeemer of my Soul" with only two voice cracks. (Ugh.) But that didn't matter, because in the end, the mother was crying. Not because I can sing, and not because she could understand the words (because she couldn't,) but because the spirit was there. It was really awesome. She hasn't said much more about our hymns since... :)

So...spanish. I only have two things to say about Spanish this week. One, it's a suuuuper beautiful language...BUT. There is one word that is so ugly to me. I hate this one word. It's the word "nosotros." For those of you who don't speak spanish, let me tell you, it's unfortunate that I really don't like this word, because it's used in every other sentence. It's translation is "we" or "us." I really don't know why I don't like this word. Maybe it's because half the people say "nos-oh-ch-ros." No sè.

Second...I've learned that it's easier to just speak spanish and not try to translate what you want to say into english first...also, I was not surprised to find that it is not offensive to talk about how fat someone is getting/already is in this culture. (Don't worry, these two points relate.) Sometimes I don't remember someone by their name, and I ask Hermana Pineda, "wait, who is that again?" Almost every time, she responds with "el gordito." (or "la gordita" if it's a woman.) (Also, I might not have spelled that right.) Well, "el/la" translates to "the," and "gordo/gorda" translates to "fat," and "-ito/-ita" signifies that something/someone is little. So..."Who is this person, Hermana Pineda?" "el gordito"...the little fat?!?! Great. So...everyone in Chile? Bueno. Vamos.

This week, I met someone who believes full-heartedly in Thor. Yep, Thor. Like the guy who runs around with a hammer in a cape and tights (and works it.) (Am I allowed to say that on my mission.) She's a less-active, and when we asked her if she still had a testimony of the gospel, she said, "yeah, but my husband and I just made a small change of religion. It's pretty much the same thing." 

Also, we had a taxi driver trying to convince us that legal use of marijuanna is a gift from the heavens for people in the world today, and we need to take advantage of it, because it's part of righteous living.

In an attempt to strengthen the unity of our ward, my companion and I worked with the ward mission leader to plan a Noche De Hogar (Family Home Evening) for the ward on Friday! We had about 30 people show up, which isn't too shabby, considering the fact that we have an average asistencia of 60 people at church every Sunday...we had a spiritual lesson, and I introduced all of them to the game "20 Seconds..." They all called it a "juego-gringo." But they liked it! Our family of investigators were there, too! Hopefully we can have more people attend next time! 

Another thing: everyone here is totally into music in english. (Not a surprise.) But honestly, I never listened to music in Spanish before my mission. I can't lie and say that I did. But I like to know what I'm listening to, and to sing along...so why would I have listened to music in Spanish? Anyway, it gets a little awkward when people realize that I never listened to music in Spanish before...they're like..."why not. We listen to music in English. Why don't you like our music." So...I guess I'm in for that awkwardness for the rest of my mission. (Chloe Davis, if you're reading this right now...I already know. I already. Know.)

Also, I love when Hermana Pineda sings a song that's in English. The other day, she was singing under her breath "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars...and let me tell you...I'm pretty sure none of the words she said were in English...she just sings the sounds she hears! Maybe one day I'll correct her. Or pretend she said a really bad word in English or something. (Just kidding.) (Seriously I'm just kidding.)

You guys! I love you all. This mission is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. But I think about all the people supporting me, and all the people who are such huge examples to me, and I find the strength to keep going! 

I've been reading "Jesus the Christ" these past few weeks...it's kind of a huge book, but I'm about half-way through, and the spirit is really strong when I read. My love for the Savior has grown even more...and I didn't think it was possible! I know, without a doubt, that he is the Son of God, my older brother, and that through Him, I can return to live with my Father in Heaven, with my family forever. I am so grateful. 

Sorry for the lack of information about my investigators, but this week was kind of...I don't know! We had a lot of lessons with a lot of new people, but nothing spectacular. It was a little difficult to contact our progressing investigators, but it was a good week!

Thanks for you love and prayers. KEEP PRAYING AND READING THE BOOK OF MORMON. I'M SERIOUS.

I love you guys!!!

Love, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment