Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Happy Birthday Hermana Pineda!!!!

My family, mi familia, my friends, mis amigos, y everyone else...I LOVE YOU.

This week, I practically ate a butterfly. It flew in my face, but luckily, my mouth was closed.  #blessings2013

Things are super darn good here! I love Chile! A lot! And I guess being a missionary is alright...or SUPER AWESOME. But I miss you all every single day! I can't wait to see you all again!

Today is Hermana Pineda's birthday, so we are going to have a ¡fiesta!...missionary style. That means that we get to clean our casa and eat cake!...and write cutesy notes to each other. Oh, Hermana Pineda...I love her.

I think I've said this before, but the more I learn Spanish, the more I realize that English is super hard to learn! I know I've already talked about the phrases Hermana Pineda knows in English (and they are hilarious,) but here are a few more: whenever she needs something, she says "I need you, ____." Por ejemplo, when she needs to use the bathroom, she says, "I need you, bathroom!" Or "I need you, food!" Or "I need you, my companion!" (This is another phrase: "my companion." Like..."I love you, my companion." Or "Come on, my companion." I love her english.) 

The other day, I was using my hair drier...after I was done, Hermana Pineda walked in and asked if she could use it, too. Sarcastically, I said "no." (Don't worry, she understands sarcasm. She's pretty much the only person here.) Anyway, she squinted her eyes disapprovingly at me, and said very boldly, "ay hay-ch j-yew." And then she stormed out of the room. I promise, I have never said the words "I hate you" here in Chile, so I didn't teach her that. But she said it with such conviction and with such careful and purposeful pronunciation...I about died, I was laughing so hard. 

La idioma is so much better! Well...my comprehension, at least. This week, I could understand almost everything that was said to me! I realized that last night, after a moment when I felt super discouraged with Spanish...I know that the Lord is helping me, still! I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have to learn this language. I always wanted to be bilingual! And I know that it will help me so much in the future.

This weekend was jam-packed with awesomeness...General Conference! (For those reading this letter who are not Mormon, General Conference is a conference of the church held twice a year, in which our prophet, his apostles, and other authorities and leaders of the church gather together and speak to us. They recieve revelation from God for things we need to do now, in our day, to protect our families and ourselves spiritually. This is not just for members of our church! The prophet of God is the prophet for THE WHOLE WORLD, and has recieved revelation for YOU. If you want to watch the sessions, it's on www.lds.org.)

That kind of felt like a commercial while I was writing it, but I seriously want the world to experience conference! Here, the people who want to hear the voice of the prophet have to gather in one of our stake centers, where it's projected live. 

A lot of people attended, but only five of them were from our ward. This made me really sad. I was reminded of the story as follows: A man in our church was discussing his beliefs with a friend of another faith. When the man began to discuss the prophet, his friend became excited by the idea. His friend asked what the prophet of God had said last to the people of the world--what counsel had he given? Taken off-guard by the show of interest, the man tried to recall the last talk he'd really listened to by the prophet, but struggled to remember his words. Disappointed, his friend said, "you mean that you claim to have a prophet of God speaking to you today, and you don't even know what he's saying?"

We know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God, and that the Lord speaks through him to convey what we need to know for our day. If you didn't have the opportunity to view conference this week...DO IT! :) If you did, go back to previous conferences and hear the counsel of the prophet before, because it's still relevant! Because the prophet and his apostles speak the words of God, we consider their past words as modern-day scripture. Go read them!!

This conference had definite themes: women taking advantage of priesthood blessings, parents assisting and learning to continue to love wayward children, and emphasis on "every member a missionary" were only a few! Here are some quotes I really loved:

"It's not where we've been, or what we've done, bu where we're willing to go." 

"If a hypocrite is a person who does not perfectly live up to what he or she believes, then we are all hypocrites."

"Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith in Christ."

"If the bitter cup does not pass...drink it."

About a child who has strayed: "I gave him to you because I knew you could and would love him, no matter what he did."

"Don't forget to look up."

"Exclamation point!!!!" (This guy was animated. Anyone else think of a pixar character during his whole talk? I loved it...)

"Never too young to learn, never too old to change."

"Shall I falter, or shall I finish?"

So many other things during conference inspired me...UGH I LOVED CONFERENCE. (Yes, I got to watch it in English...there was a room upstairs for "those missionaries"...of which I'm proud to say that I am one...) Did anyone else get chills when Elder Bednar called the world to repentance?? Did you notice that three different apostles said that soon, we will not be so kindly accepted in the world? Now is the time, more than ever, that we need the strength that comes from hearing the voices of the men here on the earth called of God...without it, we don't have a chance.

WOW THAT WAS A LOT OF SPIRITUAL STUFF THERE. But, hey, I'm a missionary. What of it.

If anyone is interested, the running score for times that Hermana Pineda and I have tripped is--Me: 20, Her: 29. Take that, every person who has called me a klutz. There's someone in this world who falls more than I do.

This week, we had a conference with Presidente Warne for all the people endinging their first transfer in the mission, and it was SO AWESOME to see my old friends from the CCM! They are like my family here. I hope some of them get transferred to Talca!

I love you all. Keep praying and reading. 

OH ONE MORE THING: Parents with missionaries in the field: I have two scriptures for you. The first is Mosiah 28:7, and the other is Alma 19:23, both from the Book of Mormon. Read these, and rest assured that the Lord is aware of your sacrifice by letting your children serve the Lord for a time away from home, and that he will BLESS you and PROTECT them! 

I LOVE YOU GUYS so much! Thank you for your support and love always. KEEP READING AND PRAYING AND WRITING ME ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I LOVE LETTERS.

Love, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment