Monday, January 6, 2014

¡Hey thur!

¡FAMILIA Y AMIGOS!

How I've missed you all this week. I can't believe that's one Christmas down...and maybe only one more to go! (Who knows when I'll be home...) It was a little sad to think that the family was at home in a temperature other than scorching, with a big ol' tree and a reason to drink hot chocolate...but then again...I'M IN CHILE. And when I remembered that, everything was good again. 

Really, this Christmas was one to remember. We didn't really do much...first of all, we really did have a Christmas miracle. Hermana Kenney and I woke up to a "white" Christmas--every day up until the 25th had been absolutely smoldering with heat in the mornings, but that morning the entire sky was white with cloud-cover, and it was nice and cool outside! No one was in the streets. Everything was quiet. We baked cupcakes for the people we'd visit that day, then we decorated them, had a little devotional as a zone, went and ate some delicious food...then I talked with my FAMILY! THAT WAS AWESOME. Hey I miss you guys! That might have been the shortest hour of my life. But it was so fun to see you! And I agree, my mission-timing is perfect...I'll get to talk to you again at about my year-mark, and by next Christmas, I'll practically be home! That is so weird to think about. I don't want to think about that.

This week was really, really awesome. Hermana Kenney and I worked so hard, and it really paid off. I know the Lord had a huge hand in our work! Tuesday was probably my favorite day. We went out to this little campo-part of our sector, Olivar. (I think I've talked about this place before. It's pretty golden with people wanting to listen to and learn about the gospel.) Anyway, we decided to try a specific prayer that day. We decided that we wanted to find a family of five who where waiting for the gospel and that they'd have a way to get to church. (Olivar is super far from our chapel.) Anyway, we promised that we'd contact two streets, and literally talk to EVERYONE we saw, and invite all of them to church and ask if they'd ever heard of or seen a Book of Mormon (something practically unheard of in this town.) If they said they owned a Book of Mormon, that would be the way we'd recognize that this was the family we'd prayed for. 

Things got crazy pretty fast. Before we prayed our specific prayer, there was hardly anyone in this street...but as soon as we said amen, people flooded it! I swear, it was like people started just dropping out of the sky! But we'd made a promise to contact EVERYONE we saw......! So....we did! There were times when two or more people were walking in different directions, and without seeming too desparate, we basically had to chase after them individually to contact them. There was one point when I thought Hermana Kenney was going to eat it running after this guy on a bike. Anyway, we contacted, contacted, contacted, taught a few lessons...but no one had ever seen un Libro de Mormòn! But we kept going, going, going...and then we contacted this lady with her kid, and they seemed a little...grumpy...but we asked her if she'd ever seen a Book of Mormon, and she said, "¡si! ¡tengo uno en mi casa!" Well, we were pretty shocked. But she told us we should visit her another day because she was leaving, so she asked for our number (yes, she asked for OUR number first,) and then we got her number...and we're going to visit her the next time we go up! 

That was really cool, because we really felt like instruments in the Lord's hands. Maybe she might not be the exact answer to our prayers, but we have seen the Lord's blessings poured upon us every day since then. First of all, it really changed the way we contact with people--we've been a lot more creative and sincere when we talk to people in the streets every day after that. We also proved to ourselves that we can work really hard and not burn out, and that at the end of the day, we feel SO GOOD. Being a missionary is great.

We're going to keep it up this next week! I know we just need to keep depending on the Lord and working our hardest.

WHICH REMINDS ME...YAY! I GET TO STAY WITH HERMANA KENNEY! We are so psyched, because we both had a feeling that we were going to get switched...I don't know why. But I am so excited, because Hermana Kenney is such a hard worker, and we laugh together and work together really great. We also got two more sisters to come live with us...Hermana Gonzales and Hermana Villareal, both Latinos! So I'm hoping my spanish wont suffer too much...

Side-note: this morning, Hermana Kenney said that when she doesn't brush her teeth soon enough in the morning, her teeth feel like they have "little sweaters on them." So...this is my companion. I laughed for a good five minutes.

All our investigators are progressing well! We had all three of our people with fechas in church this week, which was a miracle! Maria Elizabeth is still good for the eleventh of January! (HOLY COW. JANUARY?!? How is it almost January?!?!?)

You guys! I love being a missionary! I really do. Although I still think of home and how fun it will be to see everyone again, every day I feel that feeling a little more...that feeling that missionaries always talk about, how they don't want to go home by the end? That feeling. It just keeps growing. 

I love you all with all my heart. Keep reading and praying and writing me because i LOVE GETTING YOUR LETTERS so much. Also, of course Taylor won that Ticket to Ride tournament. Come on, guys. We had a good to years prep for that. What happened.

I LOVE YOU.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR. I'M SERIOUS.

Love, Hermana Thomas!

No comments:

Post a Comment