Monday, January 6, 2014

Ooops...it was a little busy last month! Kenna's letter from 12.23.13

¡FELIZ NAVIDAD BABABABABAAAAAH FELIZ NAVIDAD BABABABABAAAAAAH FELIZ NAVIDAD AJIBÑPESHAIBÑA FELICIDAD! ("AJIBÑPESHAIBÑ" represents the amount of spanish i understood before the mission. I think the song says "prosperos años, felicidad"? That's what someone told me.)
DID YOU KNOW THAT IT'S CHRISTMAS SO YEAH THAT MEANS....IT'S CHRISTMAS. 

So, I'm not going to lie, I wrote one time in my journal this week. I just was lazy with it. I'm getting to that point where the days blur so much together, I don't even realize when a day ends and the next one begins. It's just working and loving it and sometimes you lie down and close your eyes for a minute, but then you get up and take a shower and get out there and boom there goes your day. Then you close your eyes again for a minute. 

First of all, just so you all know, I'm still LOVING the mission! I'm loving it to death. I'm also loving my companion!! Hermana Kenney and have been getting along great. I really like working with her in the lessons, because we both want to follow the spirit more than just teaching the lesson, so it's easy to lend to the other person and work in unity. I've been learning a lot about working hard, and how much better you feel at the end of the day when you feel you've done your best. It's awesome.
 
This Tuesday we had our Zone Christmas activity, which was really fun! But I had to leave near the end to go to Santiago again to get our test results. But when we got all the way up there, it turned out that the doctor wasn't in his office that day...so we had to go back the next day. (But that was okay, because I got to se Hermana Pineda again!) So Wednesday was another trip up to Santiago...not much to report there. The president and his wife drove us all up there both days, so we sang them himnos de la Navidad in the car to thank them. :)

Hermana Neira left early Thursday morning for her home! That was the first official day that Hermana Kenney and I worked together solo. We decided to take a half hour bus ride to a part of our sector that is super far...this place is cool, because the people are so accepting of the missionaries! Hardly anyone there has heard of the church, and they are eager to hear more. Right now we have someone there with a baptismal date for the eighteenth...the challenge is that she lives so far from the church, and she needs to attend at least three times before her fecha. We're going to work with her. There is a member family that lives two houses away from her, but they really are not interested in helping us. (HELP THE MISSIONARIES.) (YOU REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT MEANS AND WHAT A HUGE HELP IT IS WHEN A WARD MEMBER IS WILLING TO HELP THE MISSIONARIES. Also, sorry to break it to ya, but it's kinda your duty as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...okay. I'm done.)

As for our cute little lady investigator, Maria...she is doing awesome! She went to church with us again and loved it, but apparently she was afraid to ask us if the church had a bathroom, so her stomach bothered her afterward. Oosp. She's the cutest little lady ever. Oh my word, I love her. Our leaders really wanted her to receive the Palabra de Sabiduria (Word of Wisdom) and Ley de Castidad (Law of Chastity) lessons by the end of the week, so on Friday we talked about her giving up tea. She said that she'd stop that moment. On Saturday, we brought her a big thing of Herbal Tea to trade with her black tea, and she happily switched us. Then we proceeded to teach her the Ley de Castidad, which she accepted, and we managed to escape that lesson without hearing too much about how her "body doesn't even work that way anymore." She's the darn dangest cutest.

As I've described in previous letters, menos activo miembros here in Chile are almost as common as the dogs. When we were buying the tea for Maria, a man started talking to us. Turns out he's LDS, served a mission, but doesn't go to church because he travels six months at a time to different countries for work. But that's SO SAD because 1) the gospel and attending church are more important than work and 2) HE IS SO FUNNY. Seriously. This guy was cracking me up. He lived in Utah for seven years, and he speaks pretty good English. He was going between that and Spanish the whole conversation. And he was being SO sarcastic with us! It was...like...the first time I've heard sarcasm here in Chile. At one point Hermana Kenney was talking about how we need more money as missionaries because she's always running out of money to buy food, and this guy says, "don't cry, Sister! PEOPLE GIVE YOU FREE FOOD ALL THE TIME." Oh man...I could have died. I was laughing so hard.

A funny story while contacting...we were knocking door to door, and one guy opened the door. We waved at him, and he told us to wait just a second. Then he returned to the door and said, "are you bringing the word of God?" Smiling huge, we happily replied "si! Si!" He took a second, and said, "I have a Bible," and slammed the door on us. Awks. We had a good laugh about that.

You guys, I'm loving the work! Christmas really is meaning more to me this year, I think. I want you guys to read Doctrine and Covenants...45:3-5 (or 6...) It's about Jesus Christ pleading for each and every one of us before God. His love is so unconditional for each of us. He's rooting for us to make it home to him and our Father in Heaven. He didn't just suffer for the sins and pains of those who would choose to come unto Him and repent--He suffered for the sins and pains of the world. It breaks His heart when we don't take this opportunity we have to repent and draw nearer unto Him. I know with all my heart that He is my Savior and Redeemer. I know and can feel His love. 

Merry, Merry, FELIZ, FELIZ NAVIDAD. Sometimes I so wish I could be at home for just this day and spend it with my family with the beautiful tree and all, but then I think...how many times am I going to get to do this? I LOVE WHAT I'M DOING, AND I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. KEEP PRAYING AND READING THE BOOK OF MORMON. Hey, email me verses that you like. I'd really like to hear them!

LOVE, Hermana Thomas

ps: prayer is the bomb. This morning we had a Zone activity where we had to prepare a dessert from our country, so Hermana Kenney and I made brownies. Well, we couldn't get the oven to turn on. We have to light a match and use the gas and all, and we tried a million times, and it wasn't working. So we called someone else in our zone to ask how they do it in their apartment, and she said, "have you tried praying?" We were both pretty shocked by this answer, but we decided to try it. I had to say it, and I'm not going to lie, I started laughing pretty hard asking for the oven to work so that we could make brownies. and BOOM it worked!! the first try! Don't ever think that someone isn't listening to your prayers. If He cares about brownies, He sure cares about your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment