Monday, January 27, 2014

That sloths going down.....:-)

Well, well, well. Another week, another letter to write, am I right? Let's get down to the nitty gritty. (Sorry, Chloe. Let's save the Nacho references for someone qualified to use them.) (Just kidding. I got a kick out of your last letter.)
First of all, I have had two dreams interesting (THAT JUST HAPPENED. THAT JUST HAPPENED. For those of you unfamiliar with spanish, the noun always goes before the adjective. THAT just happened...) ANYWAY I have had two INTERESTING DREAMS in the last week. I had the first one on Tuesday...I dreamed that I completed my full mission and I still only spoke spanish as well as I did after my first transfer in the field. So that was a big NIGHTMARE. Then my second dream happend on Saturday night...I dreamed that I went home after my mission but it had only felt like six months instead of 18 months. And while I was excited to see everyone, I WAS SO SAD. I wanted to be back out in the field! When I woke up, it felt so real, I laid in bed and just soaked in the disappointment of it all. Then I realized...YAY! I still have another wonderful year left! 

NOT that I don't miss all of your GUTS, but...wow! That was the first time I've honestly felt like I didn't want to go home. And it was actually a really good feeling. I've been waiting to want to be here forever! This last change has really been incredible, I've learned so much and grown a ton...I can't believe I've been out for a full third of my mission!
Kenna's 1/2 pound Reeces Peanut Butter Cup. Merry Christmas to her--nice that she shared!
 So, the nitty gritty we were talking about before...we had a baptism this week! His name is Joaquin, and he's thirteen years old. The only word I can describe him as is...a punk. But not like a "punk" punk with the colored hair and the dark clothes and all that...he's just like...a rascal? I don't know. For example...when we were teaching the Ten Commandments and we said "thou shalt not lie," he immediately said "me llamo Jorge." ("My name is Jorge.") Then when we said "thou shalt not steal" he grabbed my hipster glasses and hid them in his shirt. (Yeah, his shirt.) 

BUT this kid is a genius. (Please PLEASE tell me I just spelled genius right. I asked my companion and everything. I feel so dumb right now. I went from "genious" to "geneous" to "genius" and I think I just got it right...?) ANYWAY ANYWAY ANYWAY the point is, this kid understands everything. He knows everything we have to teach him. When we ask him a question to see if he understands/is paying attention, his answer is always better than what we have even said. But we were really struggling to help him recieve a TESTIMONY. We wanted him to feel the spirit and really know for himself that this church is true. 

Then we had a few lessons last week that were really different. The spirit was there. He felt more comfortable with us. He started to be really excited about his baptism. When we asked him if he understood what "perseverar hasta el fin" means (endure to the end,) his answer really helped us feel like he was ready to be active. Like...he planned on being active, even if his parents weren't. It was really cool to see a kid undergo these changes through the gospel. (No one is too young. Or too punk-ish.)

I'm sure you're all wondering about the font...well, we knew better this week. The baptism wasn't going to start until seven this time, so we went over at 12:30 and started the water going...and guess what? IT WAS HALF WAY to where it needed to be when we got there at SIX. What up, font?? Why the probs?? So we threw that emergency hose in again (wait, it gets classier) and we got THREE BUCKETS (at my suggestion/insistance) and started just...dumping water in! I'm happy to say that at the rate the water was rising with the combined forces of the font, the emergency hose and those three buckets, that sloth MIGHT have drowned this time. (For clarification on the drowning-sloth reference, see last week's letter.)

The baptism itself was really beautiful. Hermana Kenney and I sang another special musical number, and Joaquin's mother was crying through the whole service. And he was glowing afterwards...you could tell he felt really good about his decision to be baptized. The spirit was strong again. Afterwards, his mom came up to Hermana Kenney and told us with tears in her eyes that we must have been the "chosen ones" for Joaquin, because missionaries had taught him before and given up on him after the first few lessons. I'm just so grateful that we could be instruments in the hands of the Lord to help this thirteen year old boy and his family come closer to God and start again on the right path.
 
 
On Sunday, I was looking at Maria Elizabeth and Joaquin in sacrament meeting, and just thinking to myself, "look how bright they look! We have the cutest little converts in the world. I love them so much." I really do love them so much. I love all the people we are teaching. I want them all to succeed. I want them to feel this joy and peace I feel through the gospel. I really believe the Lord has allowed me to feel a part of his perfect love for them through our efforts as missionaries. 

On a lighter note, I'd like to let everyone know that on January 17th, 2014, the six-month mark of my 18-month mission, I, McKenna Leigh Thomas, being born of goodly parents, GOT POOPED ON AGAIN. I WILL NEVER. EVER. STAND UNDER ANOTHER TREE FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE. HAVE I MENTIONED THAT I ABSOLUTELY despise birds. 

I love you all so much! Share the gospel! Help the missionaries! Pray for opportunities to serve! Read the Book of Mormon! Pray every morning and every night! Go to church! You will see blessings poured upon you more than you could ever imagine. 

I LOVE YOU ALL. KEEP EMAILING ME. 
Love, Hermanita Thomas!

No comments:

Post a Comment