Monday, August 4, 2014

Haboobs and What-not?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FAMILYYYYYYYYYYYY AND FRIEEEEEEENNNNNDDDDDDSSSSSSS

First thing's first, I am going to ask that someone (I don't care who it is okay just someone) send me a full report of the weather in Arizona, because I thought I knew how it was but YEAH NO. 

Everyone's like "it's so dry, always dry, sizzling heat, dry dry dry..."

LIARS. It is so humid right now. And it all started with the Haboob...

Yes, that is a word. Haboob. I was in the middle of a thundering, raging haboob this week. I just can't stop typing that word. Haboob. It's such a weird word. Anyway...what is a "haboob," you might ask? Well, imagine that you're outside picnicking on a beautiful 3rd of July, the sky is blue, the grass is green, when suddenly Mexico decides to kick up some sand and BOOM THE HABOOB IS UPON YOU. These Haboobs hop the border, man. Huge dust storms! My companion and I were biking to a coordination meeting, and we get this text from the City of Tempe saying that an "urgent warning" is being sent to everyone about an incoming dust storm. It's like...how'd you get my number, Tempe?!? Anyway, we thought we could make it, so we kept biking. Out in the horizon, we can see this cloud of dust. It's getting bigger and bigger, so we just start peddling faster and faster...logic...anyway, we get outside of a CVS and decide to call it good, with the branches flying around us and the traffic lights flickering and whatnot. (Mom, do not have a heart attack.) 

So we chilled out in CVS for a good hour. It was actually pretty lame, but at least we didn't have any other plans than this meeting...which ended up getting cancelled. The other sisters came to our rescue when it was safe, and we went home. It was raining a bit (which is the second time on my mission that I have felt any other type of weather other than skin-melting-hot) and there were some SWEET lightning storms over yonder. 

But since then it has been SUPER HUMID. Apparently Arizona has a monsoon season?! AND it's over 105 degrees every day? 

So I guess we're in for a lot of these haboobs this month. That's what I've been told. I like humidity, but I just started getting used to doing my hair...bummer. 

The other girls in our apartment reported bedbugs in their room, so we all had to throw our things into plastic bags (everything everything everything in plastic bags) and desert our apartment for five hours so that it could get sprayed down. That was an adventure! And I just finished unpacking...ayayay! But that's okay, it was actually kind of fun. But now I have a lot of plastic bags with clothes in them. 

It was also the Fourth of July! All missionaries were required to be inside at 5pm and stay there for the rest of the night. We partied hard! (We colored with crayons.) (All night.) (Actually, we played a game called "The Duck." It's a game that Andrew Massamini and I made up in Physics class, you draw a duck on a piece of paper, one person's job is to the kill the duck and the other person's job is to protect the duck, you can draw anything you want, you take turns, and it requires imagination. Also it's a really dumb game but it's SUPER entertaining. We were all four really into it.) (Missionaries have the most fun. I swear.)

Also, remember how I told you all that we show that "Because of Him" video a lot? And I told you about some of the responses we would get. Then we eradicated this problem by telling the people to actually READ the WORDS, not just look at the PICTURES...well, it's been working perfectly. Then, the other day, I forgot to tell them to read the words. I was like..."nah. it's okay. they'll get it." So then at the end I asked the man what he understood from the video, what called his attention and he says: "...I like...how it showed that we went to the moon.......because....it's true....we did."

I just stared at him. I was like...no. No. No. NonononononoNONONO. So I just sat and waited for him to say something more. And he just sat there like that was it, but then he sensed that I was waiting for something else, so he thinks, and says, "and...Jesus---" and I'm like "YES. SOMETHING ABOUT JESUS CHRIST. GOOD JOB. THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!!" and just pretended he didn't say anything about astronauts.

This week was a good week as far as la obra is concerned. Nothing too big to report, but we came across a few really good people who we think can progress really well! Hermana Johnson is slowly forgetting about the Spanish, and I keep telling her to just let it go as much as possible, because that's the only way she will ever get better! But I know that's hard, trust me, I lived it. But I still love training, and I hope I get to do it again and again! :)

I love you all so much! Also, I thought I'd add that in the room next to me right now are a group of 15 old women having a lesson on how to use Facebook. 

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH KEEP READING AND PRAYING PLEASE. And go to church. I don't care what your excuse is. Quit your job and go to church. 1 Nephi 3:7 #lookitup

LOVE, Hermana Thomas

PS: update on the TB...it's all good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment