Monday, August 4, 2014

So, So....So. So. HOT!

SO YESTERDAY I spent a good 10 minutes trying to locate my journal. Does that give you and idea for how up-to-date I've been?

I AM DEDICATING MYSELF RIGHT NOW TO WRITE EVERY DAY IN MY JOURNAL. YOU ARE ALL VIRTUAL WITNESSES. My hand's on a Bible. (There's a Bible on my iPad.) (Roll your eyes, fellow missionaries. That's right. I said iPad. #spoiledstatesidemissionaryupinheeeeeyyyaaa)

Let's start with my Hermana Johnson story of the week: she just discovered that the word "cockroach" is not "crockroach." I FEEL SO BAD, my family has poisoned me, I swear, I COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING when she said "crockroach." 

Background: for those of you unfamiliar with the Thomas family....we're great and all, but I give you a warning--DO NOT MESS UP ENGLISH. You will be met with ridiculous laughter, and we will probably not forget about it ever ever ever EVER. 

Which brings me to my next topic...MY BRAIN IS MELTING. I'm serious. This paragraph is mostly intended for the benefit of my mother...Mom...I'm sorry I've laughed at your English mistakes all these years. I understand now. IT'S THE STRESS, PEOPLE. I was super sharp, hardly messed up my words before my mission. But now...well...let's start from the beginning...

It all started in Olivar. There we were, Hermana Kenney and I, walking down the hot stretch of road in front of us, talking about our investigators. (More background information: I was not very forgiving of Hermana Kenney's English mess-ups either.) Well, we were talking about how a lesson we just had didn't go very well. Then, trying to see the bright-side, I said, "but he read his scriptures! At least he's making pogess."

POGESS. 

POGESS.

POGESS.

...hello, where'd you go, "Letter R"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I SAID 'POGESS'. And guess who noticed? My lovely companion. Hermana Kenney was dying. Laughing so hard. I TOTALLY DESERVED IT. 

That was the first instance. Since then, my stress level has definitely increased, what with taking on more responsibility, planning baptisms, learning Spanish, getting Tuberculosis, changing missions, serving in the blistering heat, training, senior companion, white-washing, biking, conquering Satan, etc. It gets to you, and sometimes your brain fails.

Well, I've had two great ones this week. First of all, I keep accidentally saying, "acartment pomplex." Like, consistently. Like, "apartment complex" is not even in my vocabulary anymore.

But, lo, the best is yet to come...the other day we were sitting in McDonald's for free WiFi, and I'm just looking around, and I see a poster advertising a deal on hamburgers. So I say, "oh, look, $3.33 for two duggle cheeseburbers."

?!?@$&*^#(@()$) DUGGLE?!?!?!?!?! DUGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAID DUGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!

Forget the "cheeseburbers," I SAID "DUGGLE."

I blame it on the stress. The point is...sorry, Mom.
Hermana Thomas and Hermana Homer--they are two peas in a pod...er...in a cape!

Back to things that actually matter...oh wait, just kidding, more things that don't matter:

Do you recall when Hermana Kenney and I motivated ourselves to run up 13 flights of stairs by placing snicker bars on every floor? Well, I'm not sure that we exactly matched that, but this morning Hermana Johnson and I went on a run....................to get McDonald's breakfast. (I swear, I am not obsessed with McDonald's.)

We also passed a crazy guy yesterday who started shouting "STOP COME BACK HERE GIMME YOUR BIKES! I SWEAR THAT GOD JUST TOLD ME THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME YOUR BIKES I SWEAR IT." We tried to get clear of him, but we hit a stop light, and he caught up to us. He was like, "y'all mormons?" We're like, "yep, we are." He says, "aww, I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you find the true path one day." So I said...okay, I shouldn't have said this...I said, "well, I hope the 'true path' doesn't involve shouting and strangers in the streets." So then he goes off on how Mormons are 'unnatural' and that the fact that we don't act on our 'natural impulses' is unhealthy, like we should drink beer and have sexual relations with whoever we want whenever we want, and I'm like, hmm, you probably believe that because you're not close to getting married any time soon, huh...anyway, we just smiled and told him that we think it's more important to obey God, then we biked away. I probably should have just turned the other cheek but I was like PREACH IT. I was in a "stand-on-a-soap-box-and-call-him-to-repentance" mood.

Oh, we had this one day where LITERALLY EVERYTHING WENT WRONG. I wish I had time to tell you how it went down, but I couldn't even type it in one letter, so many things went wrong. At one point, we stopped on our bikes at a stop light, and out of NOWHERE, Hermana Johnson's bike fell apart. We just looked at each other, like, SERIOUSLY?!?! and then we both just started laughing. We could not believe it. But then we were looking for something flexible but firm enough to replace the bike piece that fell off, and we found something SO INCREDIBLY PERFECT, I couldn't believe we found this wire-thing just sitting there! It fit like a glove. Miracle! AND some random old lady gave us CAKE THAT DAY. 

Guys, count your blessings! There are miracles every day. It would be so cool if you stopped at the end of every day, before your prayer, and thought of one miracle that happened in those 24 hours. Will you all do that from now on? 

As for our investigators, everything is good. :) Blanca and Alex are so amazing! I'm pretty sure that Alex is back to church to stay, he even gave a talk at the other sisters' baptism on Saturday! So now we just have to help Blanca gain a testimony so that they can have an eternal family!

We got a hold of this amazing family we found the other day, and they are eager to have us come back! Super awesome! 

We have one person who wants to get baptized, he just has to change a few things in his life first, mostly...his pride...but he's super super nice! Will you all pray for him? 

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. I love being a missionary. I've stopped my count-down, I hate it. I just want to be a full-time missionary forever.

Keep being awesome. I love you lots and lots.

Love, Hermana TBhomas

No comments:

Post a Comment