Monday, September 2, 2013

English.......??? First 'real' letter from Chile!!!!

What the heck is English?? No recuerdo English!!

HOLA FAMILY! GREETINGS FROM TALCA. Literally, this is the most English I've used in a couple days. IT'S CRAZY.

First of all, did you know that there are dogs in Chile?? HA. YEAH. THERE ARE. Many many many many doggies. Every single house has at least one dog...then there are the dogs on the street...some of them are really mean. The other day, Hermana Pineda and I almost got eaten alive. I wish that was a joke. BUT then there are dogs who decide that they like you, and follow you around for hours. The other day, we had a dog that followed us for about 3 hours. We named him Phil, only Hermana Pineda says "Feel"...so I guess his name was "Pheel...?"

I love Hermana Pineda! She is the best. Yes, she is from Guatamala, and she's a doll. She JUST got finished being trained, so I'm her first "daughter." In our casa, it is our companionship with one other, Hermana Bokovoy and Hermana Contreras. (Hermana Bokovoy was in the MTC with me, and Hermana Contreras was Hermana Pineda's trainer just before. She knows Taylor! Both she and Hermana Pineda were originally called to ConcepciĆ³n...Hermana Contreras has been here 12 months, and when I showed them pictures of my family, she recognized Taylor as her old zone leader! Crazy!) 

Hermana Pineda is trying to learn a little English from me...the other day I was rubbing my stomache because I was so full, and out of nowhere, she says, "you are fat." In her cute accent! (She probably thinks I have a cute accent, too...or maybe not so cute...) Anyway, she's funny like that. We laughed. We laugh all the time, actually! 

In the mornings, we get up at exactly 7:00 for exercise...Mom, you would love Chile. They just have public little...exercising places? They look like playgrounds, honestly, but no. They are for exercising. It's pretty funny, but they are super effective. I'm totally sore!

Then we get ready for the day, and plan and study and all that fun stuff! THEN we study the language...which really is just talking and having her really correct me. Then we usually eat...by this time, it's about 1:30 here. 

YEAH THEY GIVE YOU A LOT OF FOOD. Usually, we have some soup along with tomatoes/veggies drowning in...I want to say it's vinegar...? It's actually good. I love it. Then you have your entree, with the food literally PILED on the plate. Mostly, it's been chicken with either rice or potatoes. I really like it! (There was one day, though, that I literally was gagging down the food. It was probably the worst thing I've ever had. Thought it was meat...wasn't meat.) 

Then we go to our appointments. People usually aren't there, though, or maybe they see us through their windows and decide that they don't feel like it. (Probably.) But that's okay, because we use that time to contact! AquĆ­ en Chile, you shout "ALO" at the gates of people's houses...I really like it, because it's the closest I get to come to belting! I really really like it. Usually a dog will drown it out by barking. Dumb dogs.

Oh, I got pooped on. (Not by a dog.) A bird. I was just walking, minding my own human business, when I reached up to fix my hair...and right at that moment, a bird turd landed on my hand. I guess I should be counting my blessings...it very well should have landed on my head. Just further proof that the Lord protects his missionaries...?

Hermana Pineda told everyone.

Anyway, there's so much to say, but not enough time! I had to spend half my time on the computer today receiving instruction from others on what I needed to do...so I don't have much time left! I love you guys. So dang much. Wow. I've thought about all of you every day.

Ireland, braces are not fun, but not awful. At least you won't need them for THREE YEARS. Count your blessings, love! Why haven't you emailed me recently?!

Erin, you're dumb. JUST KIDDING I LOVE YOU. Congrats on the play!! Stuff it, Saxe Middle School.

Dad, I juuuust got your email. You have this uncanny way of emailing me riiight before I run out of time. I LOVE YOU.

Mom, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. I MISS YOU SO MUCH. I TALK ABOUT YOU A LOT. To everyone. It's almost embarrassing.

Keep praying. Hey, someone should take a Spanish class so that I we can speak when I get home. Or maybe...wait until I get home. Then I can help you with your homework. :) 
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

Hermana Thomas

PS: look at the picture of the floor, and then think about why I am going absolutely crazy when I see this.

[HerMAMA Thomas' note--She sent a bunch of pictures BUT I am having some technical difficulties loading them to the blog. Will get them up ASAP.  The picture of the floor she is referring to, really makes me laugh because Kenna has a OCD 'thing' with symmetry. Poor kid....stay tuned....I will post it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment