Monday, September 23, 2013

Wahoo!!!!

Ah! So much excitement in my email box this week! ¡Enserio! Wahoo!!

AMIE CRITCHFIELD, YOU LOVELY WOMAN. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT YOUR MISSION CALL. Also, I know why you're leaving so soon. It's because I've had a secret wish that you'd not have to wait to leave too long, because I don't want to have to wait for forever to see you when I get home in a year and a few months!! So you're welcome. (Trust me, you did not want to wait 4 and a half months.)

So, HEY, GUYS! Man, oh man. Do you know how awesome it is to get emails as a missionary? It's the best. I love it. It's fanTAStic.

This week! Was crazy! ¡semana loca! It was the week of independence for Chile, and people partied hard! Consequently, not many people were very patient with us...but that didn't stop us! I just wanted to say to everyone I passed, "I'm sorry, but I'm starting to get concerned about your salvation and stuff."

(I really hope that most people reading my emails have seen Nacho Libre. If not...awkward. Because I think I've quoted it quite a few times in the past.)

Our neighbors have partied all night and into the morning (I'm talking 5am in the morning) almost every night this week. I'd like to help you visualize what it's like to live next to these people: Imagine that you're standing in a...25x25ft room. Then imagine that you are about 10ft away from a cannon. That never stops firing. Ever. And the only thing separating you from the cannon is...a sheet of paper. And it's a really drunk cannon. 

My bones were vibrating with the music coming through the wall.

The language! It's coming along! Man, it's gonna be cool when I know what people are saying! I'm totally psyched for that day. In the meantime, I can just keep saying "¿Què?" (This has become my catchphrase.)

Hermana Pineda continues to become dearer and dearer to me. I love her guts. I can't even say enough about it! OH. This reminds me of my animal story of the week. 

So, we have Nutella, right? And cookies, right? And I'm an unhealthy person, right? (Just kidding, Mom. I'm doing really good at eating healthy. Don't have a heart attack.) (That's my job.) (Just kidding.) Anyway, every once in a while, I just really need a cookie with Nutella. So I purchased the ingredients necessary, and then I accidentally got everyone in the casa absolutely addicted to it. Anyway, one morning I really wanted a cookie with Nutella, and Hermana Pineda said no. I asked why, and she proceeded to show me a paper she'd printed from Hermana Jett (who is the woman in charge of the health of the missionaries here.) This paper said to eat very little chocolate, because it caused headaches, and all these other problems, and then Hermana Pineda practically bore her testimony about how we shouldn't eat too much chocolate. 

So, feeling reprimanded, I refrained. Two minutes later, the lights went out, and as I was working to restore the power, I saw out of the corner of my eye someone in the kitchen, reaching for the Nutella and cookies...yep! Hermana Pineda had FIVE COOKIES in her hand, and one stuffed in her mouth! I abandoned my work with the power, and pretty much tackled her. This wrestle lasted for about five minutes. I don't remember much of it, it really was a blur, but by the end I had bite marks on my arm as proof of the battle. 

Yep, my companion bit me. So this is my animal story of the week.

I guess another animal story can be that Hermana Bokovoy accidentally ate a worm. It was in her apple.
Back to the festivities...I loved them! We had a ward party on Friday, with a lot of dancing and food and food and FOOD. Also, I learned a lot about the history of Chile! It was really interesting. The missionaries judged the events the whole night, and it was a great opportunity to bond with the members.

At this party, there was a family of really awesome people who were not members. A girl in our ward had invited one of their daughters to attend, and the whole family came! Hermana Pineda and I talked with them a bit, and visited them the next day. Only the mother was at home, but while we taught her, she said that she felt something really deep in her heart with us there, and that she believed that we could do something to help her family very much. She was crying, and we told her that this was the spirit. I got to bear my testimony about how families are eternal, and I cried, too, because I love you guys so much, and I'm so grateful to know that I get to live with you guys forever!
At the Ward Chile Independence Day Celebration!

She and her daughter attended church with us the next day! We are really excited about this family. They are very receptive. I know that the Lord guided them to us, or us to them. We have another appointment with them tonight, and we are really excited about it. 

I've learned here how difficult it is to accept a prophet in this day. When I think about it from an investigator's perspective, it's pretty difficult to believe! I am so grateful that I have already developed a solid testimony of living prophets in my life...man, I'm just grateful that I've been raised in the gospel in general!

I know, without a doubt, that this the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to this earth, and that God exists. I think it's important that everyone who is a member of this church develops a really firm testimony of this...honestly. You guys should read Preach My Gospel and then read it again! It has so many great scripture references to help build your faith. It's amazing.

I'm so grateful for the trust Heavenly Father has in me. I am so imperfect...it's amazing to realize that He can still use me as an instrument in His hands! I love being a missionary. I'm so proud of my friends who are serving with me right now, because you know what? This is hard. It is by far the hardest thing I've done in my life thus far. But I know that I'm growing from it every single day, and that this is the foundation for the rest of my life--my marriage, my family, my education, my occupation, everything! This is a grand opportunity, and I don't plan on wasting it!

I love you all with allll of my heart! ¡Con todo de mi corazòn! Read the Book of Mormon! Pray every morning and every night! I absolutely promise that your life will be so much happier, despite difficulties. 

Love, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment