Monday, September 9, 2013

Hmmmmmm......

Family! Did you know I love you? Because I do.
This made my heart smile (in the words of a dear friend). I LOVE Erin and Lindy!!! Always thinking of her sisters!!!

So. Chile. What's up with that, am I right?

First thing's first: inactivity. THROUGH THE ROOF so much inactivity! It's so sad! I don't know what it is. I swear, every other person we run into has already been taught/baptized by missionaries at some point in their life (yes, yes, in OUR church,) but they absolutely do not want to come back to church. It's so sad, because they have the truth and the way to happiness in the palm of their hands, but they choose not to take advantage of it. 

EVERYONE READING THIS LETTER: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS, and you ever ever EVER stop going to church, me and my friend Elder Holland will come to your doorstep and personally drag you by your feet to the chapel. 

Now that that's out of the way...we have two investigators! Oh man, they are awesome! They are both young-ish mothers with a lot of interest in the church! One especially is super great. She has a son who is four months old, which she had with her live-in boyfriend (called a pareja,) and this kid is absolutely adorable. Absolutely. And he has a really weird fixation with me. Seriously! I don't know if it's because I'm a gringo (spelling?) or what, but every time I speak...okay. We taught the first lesson to her, and every time Hermana Pineda was speaking, he was squirming around and making a little fuss. Then I'd start talking, and all the sudden he'd freeze and stare at me with his big blue baby eyes. When I told the story of the first vision, he peacefully fell asleep. I dunno. I dunno. Maybe me awful accent is soothing to babies. ("Baby" in Spanish is "Wawa." or "bebe." But I like "wawa.")

Anyway, our investigator asked me to say the opening prayer, and when we were finished, you could tell that she had gotten a little teary. She told us that she didn't know which church she wanted to baptize her son in. And during the story of the first vision, again you could see her eyes becoming misty. We asked her how she felt afterwards, and she said she felt really, really great. This is my first experience really teaching with the spirit to someone who is receptive! I just love it. We even gave her a brief idea of the Law of Chastity, and at the end she nodded her head and said that it made sense...which is awesome, because she lives with her boyfriend right now...she didn't say she'd live it or anything, but she still wants to learn!

Oh, remember that time when a bird pooped on my hand instead of my head? Well, I've got another tender mercy for ya. We were tracting a few nights ago, and on the doorstep of someone's house, as we were speaking with the resident, a dog flipping peed on me. BUT I was wearing boots. So...miracles happen every day in the life of a missionary.

So you know that awkward moment when you accidentally make eye contact with someone on the street, and you both really fast look away, and pass by, and pretend it didn't happen? Well, buck up, your life is not that hard. Welcome to my Chilean LIFE. Literally
every single person I pass, I make eye contact with, because--breaking news--I'm a gringo! Yep, surprise! EVERYONE is looking at me all the time! 

Don't think I'm being conceited right now. This is honestly my life right now. 

Oh, that reminds me...okay...so my second day here, we were contacting, and this really old lady, hard to understand, I think she had some mild turrets or something, let us into her casa. (The reason I remembered this story is because this lady told us very directly that the only reason she was letting us into her casa was because I had a "cada bonita.") Anyway, we taught her the third lesson (The Gospel of Jesus Christ.) Mind you, this is my second day in Chile, and I literally don't understand anything. 

So this lesson is going, and it seems like it's good, Hermana Pineda and this lady talk a lot, and then we leave. I thought it went really well. Hermana Pineda said something to me as we walked away, but I didn't understand, and so I just nodded my head.

Anyway, two nights ago, I asked Hermana Pineda what ever happened with that lady...why we'd never taught her again? Hermana Pineda said that she already told her, but I reminded her that I had the vocabulary of an intelligent rock my second day here, so she re-told me what happened. I guess that this old lady said that if we were really sent from God, we needed to touch her husband's foot and heal it with our godly powers. 

Yay for Spanish.

So that was weird...but everything else is great! Mom, I haven't gotten that package yet...hopefully it gets to me! 

Man, I love you guys all so much. Oh! Go read "Our Search for Happiness" by Elder Ballard, please. It's not that long, and he's an incredible writer. It might be my favorite book every! (It's in the missionary library.) Right now I'm reading "Our Heritage"...there have been so many miracles in our church's past. And so much sacrifice. It makes me realize that I have a legacy to live up to, and it motivates me to do better every day! Please go read that first one, and then the second! 

Chile is great! Everything is great! This week I've been especially grateful that I have so many people supporting me--friends, family, ward members--I LOVE YOU ALL. I pray for you!

Please keep writing. And read the Book of Mormon!!

Love, Hermana Thomas (pronnounced doh-mahs)
Hermana Thomas and Hermana Pineda

"Oh...the Places You'll Go!!!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment