Monday, September 30, 2013

Holy Cow..........(this one has HerMama Thomas in fits!!)

SO MANY LETTERS THIS WEEK ITS SO EXCITING AHHH
You guys! Dang! I love you guys! Have I said that enough? Well, get used to it. Dang it.
This week has been CUH-RAY-ZAY. Enserio. You don't even understand. You don't. Nope, you don't.
I don't even know where to begin...Ok. Hermana Bokovoy was transferred. Sad! I love that girl a ton! Plus, she was the only person in the casa that spoke a lick of English...it was nice to have a moment in the day where I didn't have to think so hard, and I could just say exactly what I wanted to say to someone who understood and could respond! BUT. It's okay, because I have a firm testimony that God has a hand in EVERYTHING to do with missionary work.
She was switched with Hermana Rodriguez, from Peru! She is really great, and it's a blessing for me, because now I live with 3 different countries! (Hermana Rodriguez: Peru, Hermana Pineda: Guatamala, Hermana Contreras: Argentina.) So I guess you could say that I have a chance at learning spanish.
Hermana Rodriguez has been very sick for the past two months, though...I think it's been a pretty awful pnemonia. (Actually, a ton of missionaries right now are pretty sick...Hermana Pineda has a really wicked...something? It's definitely more than a cold, but she doesn't have a fever...and Hermana Contreras has been off and on sick the whole time I've been here.) Anyway, our casa is really close to a hospital, so this is good for Hermana Rodriguez.
Meanwhile, we've been working really closely with our family of investigators! Oh, man, I seriously love them so much. They are progressing so well. Hermana Pineda and I have been fasting and praying a lot for this family...there are five of them, and four of them are over 8, and all of them are just...wow! Super awesome! They all have Books of Mormon, and are eager to learn. They all attended sacrament meeting yesterday. Last night, we had a particularly powerful lesson with them, in which I got to bear my testimony of the Book of Mormon, and even share a few verses that have really spoken to me personally. The spirit was so strong!
During sacrament meeting, we were sitting with the family, and I started getting really nervous for them. I didn't know what they were thinking of it all. We don't have a lot of members in the ward that are active, and it seemed like everyone was staring at this family anxiously the whole time...especially the speakers! I just got really nervous for a second. Then, I had the quiet reassurance that...guess what? The members aren't the gospel. I'm not the teacher. These people are not in my hands. It's the Lord. It's the Holy Ghost. If this family is going to be converted, it's going to be because the spirit testified to them that this is the truth, and it's not going to matter how weird the members might have been, or if I stumbled over a sentence in Spanish, or whatever. The spirit is so powerful, and it can change beliefs, lifestyles, and especially hearts.
We also have an investigator with a baptismal date! My first one! I'm pretty stoked. Her name is Claudia, and she is really receptive. We've also been teaching her mother, but the day we extended a baptismal invitation, her mother was really sick, and wasn't with us in the lesson...hopefully she accepts, too! Claudia is great. She has a lot of things that are difficult in her life...she has a tumor in her head, and is constantly getting scans. We taught her the plan of Salvation, and it really seemed to ring with her. (In "Preach My Gospel," there's a quote that says that, because everyone lived with Heavenly Father before this life, the gospel will have a "familiar ring" to them, in their hearts. I really like this quote.)
On Friday, we had a mini-cambio, which meant that I had to go to leave my sector (La Florida) and spend a day in San Clemente (a different sector.) My companion for the day was Hermana Dana, from Argentina...but she's of Italian decent, so she pretty much looks like a gringo, too! But she doesn't speak any English. I also got to see Hermana Wilson again, and that was awesome! I totally miss that girl.

Anyway, I learned a lot that day. First of all, I am so grateful for my casa in La Florida....the shower in San Clemente is a tube coming out of the wall that either freezes you to death or bathes you in fire. It is conveniently located next to a giant hole in the wall, for those days when you just crave the feeling of having spiders crawling up your legs.
The people there have very little. (At least in the parts we worked in that day.) One woman in particular has a lot of problems in her life. Her mother was molested, and she is the child. Her father would hit her in the eyes when she was young, so she can only see shapes of things in front of her. She has two children with one man, and another man on the side (which the children do not know, but their father does, and he's totally fine with it...?) My heart absolutely breaks for her. Absolutely. Hermana Dana told me that she believes everything they have taught her, but she refuses to pray to know if Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. They have asked her many times to do this, and she flat out refuses. She can't read, but she really likes when they read the Book of Mormon to her. When we visited her, we asked her to say the closing prayer. She didn't want to. I reminded her that she is a child of God, and because of this, it doesn't matter if her prayer is perfect, because God only wants to hear from her. Then Hermana Dana shared a really great scripture...I'm awful, because I don't remember what it was...I don't speak Spanish, okay?...but the spirit was strong, and this seemed to change her attitude a bit. She prayed. It was simple, but it was sincere. Ugh...my heart was broken when we left.
(Side note: As we were leaving, she said that I was really skinny. I was feeling pretty good as we walked away, and then I remembered that she's almost blind...) (But serioiusly, Hermana Pineda and Hermana Contreras always tell me I'm getting fat. It's not an insult, it's just a fact here.) (By the way, I am not getting fat.)
Oh! Another thing! Yeah, people are super weird about compliments here. All the time, I tell people "oh wow, thanks so much for this food, it's so good! It's delicious!" and all they say is "que bueno." (how good.) They never say thank you. Actually, usually they don't even say anything! So weird! BUT THEN they have absolutely NO problem ASKING for compliments! They'll say, "is the food I made good?" or "do I look good today?" The other day, Hermana Bokovoy, Pineda, Contreras and I sang together during our Zone Conference...and afterwards, Hermanas Pineda and Contreras were asking every single person if they liked our song! Super weird. Hmm.
Anyway, after my mini-cambio, I returned to La Florida...to find that our study room had been converted into a room of quarintine for Hermana Rodriguez...because she developed tuberculosis. Yikes!! All of our things had to be moved out while I was gone, and she is not allowed to leave that room except to use the bathroom...for three weeks! I feel so awful for her. But I'm disinfecting like nobodies business. (Mom, you would be proud.)
AND THE WORST PART IS THAT ALL THREE OF US LIVING WITH HER NEED TO BE TESTED AND YEAH THAT MEANS THAT I NEED TO GET MY BLOOD DRAWN AND IM NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT EXCITED ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW HOLY COW IM ACTUALLY FREAKING OUT LIKE I MIGHT BE A LITTLE UNBALANCED MENTALLY WHEN I THINK ABOUT THIS so thats the worst news ever.
BUT this means that none of us are leaving next transfer! Wahoo! I'm so happy, because I feel like I have so much left to do here, and so much left to learn from Hermana Pineda! We'll have to do a lot of switching around, because Hermana Rodriguez can't be left alone in the casa, but the three of us are pretty much a companionship of three right now.
But let's look at the miracle here. Our casa is definitely one of the bigger/nicer casas in the mission. It is also next to a hospital. If Hermana Bokovoy hadn't needed to be switched with Hermana Rodriguez, Hermana Rodriguez wouldn't have come here. But because we have this casa, we had space enough to house someone who needed to be quarantined. And we have that hospital so close!
You guys...God is real. I know it. I know he's involved in EVERYTHING...in everyone's lives. Not just us. I know that he has a hand in everything we do. How can you not believe in a god? How can you believe that everything is a coincidence? How can you hold a newborn baby in your arms and not have the feeling that they came from somewhere, and from someone? I know that God exists. I know that Jesus Christ is his son, and that He loves all of us so much, regardless of the paths we choose or what we believe. That's His unconditional love.
I love you guys! Dang I love you guys! Don't forget to pray every day, and read the Book of Mormon! Enserio!
Love, Hermana Thomas.
PS: as for my animal story of the week...I first-hand witnessed a two-year-old kid scissor-kick a kitten in the face yesterday. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment