Monday, April 28, 2014

Hello Familia- Letter from April 14, 2014 (I slacked off...)

Hola familia y amigos! Les amo mucho.

Another week in good ol' Arizona. (Once again, it just took me twenty seconds to find where the apostrophe was on this keyboard. Ay.) First things first: if you ever want to know what melted gummy-worms taste like, buy a pack and leave it in your car in the middle of Arizona for FIVE MINUTES. FIVE. Five, people. My beautiful sour gummy worms were literally a puddle when we got back into the car. Curse you, Arizona heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttbut that's beside the point. The point is, everything is still good in the hood here! I love being a missionary! There is nothing better.

I told you all that I was being changed...well, it happened! On Wednesday we had a big Transfer Meeting, everyone who was getting a new companion met in Tempe to be assigned. I wasn't really nervous, actually, since I still had no idea where I should even HOPE to go, or who I should even HOPE to be companions with...I was like...bring it. 

I have my new companion! And guess how lucky I got?? There are maybe six sister missionaries who are native-speakers, and I got one! Her name is Hermana Arellano, and she's a crack-up. She's from Mexico, but she speaks near-flawless English. It took me a couple minutes to realize that she wasn't a gringa! Hooray for me, because I still get to have someone correcting my spanish! I was so nervous about that. Anyway, we are working in the Tempe Zone, in the Rio Salado ward, and it's awesome!

Hermana Arellano is awesome. She always wants to learn more and more English. One of the first things she said to me when we were assigned companions was...well...she was pretty frustrated about the difference between "sucks" (like "this sucks") and "socks." 

That was only the beginning. Two days ago we were driving and I asked her what her favorite restaurant is. She says, "I don't remember what it's called, but it's in Provo, it's a sandwich place, and the name is like...'noodles'..." I was wracking my brain trying to think of a noodle/sandwich place, and I kept saying "are you sure it has noodles in the name?" and she was very insistent that it did. Finally I gave up, and told her that now that I'd been thinking about sandwiches so much, I was craving something from Kneaders. She goes, "YES. THAT'S IT. KNEADERS." (Which, in hindsight, I can see how that might sound like "noodles.") Then she goes on this long tangent about how there are so many random foods named "noodle" that aren't noodles...and I was like..."like what?!?" And she starts describing this cookie with cinnamon on it, and I'm like, "you mean SNICKER-DOODLE?" and she's like "YES. THAT."

The other day in companionship study she explained that it takes a big wake-up call for her to realize that she needs to change something...then she said that that's why the spirit doesn't speak to her with "spiritual promptings"...it speaks to her with "spiritual smacks to the face." She said this in English. It...was awesome. 

The list goes on and on...she cracks me up. She has learned A TON of slang from some of the elders, like "that's legit" or "that's messed up" or "I'm pumped"...the other day in one of our prayers she asked that God would please help us "get pumped," and that was probably the best plea I have ever heard in a prayer. Amen to that, sister. 

We are white-washing the area, which is interesting. Sometimes we get frustrated with the giant map we bought the other day, but we've been busy trying to get to know the members. Yesterday at church I was SHOCKED by how AWESOME this ward is...I guess I'm just used to the Chilean disorganization. (Which I love. But. Still.) The bishop is awesome and all the members are so happy! There really is something special about this ward.

We've started to teach one girl who is only 17 (almost 18) but has a 3 year old daughter. She is living with her boyfriend, and they are SUPER great! They are so open to the gospel. She came with us to the Mesa Easter Pageant on Saturday, but didn't make it to church. We are going to work on that, but we are so excited to be teaching them. AND they have the CUTEST puppy in the world, so that's a plus. 

Oh, back to the ward/stake...our stake president was just called about a month ago...and he's only 27! Yeah! But he's incredible. We had a meeting with him the other day and he started telling us that we need to just be "thorns in the bishop's side" until we get done what needs to get done for the people we are teaching. He is practically fresh off the mission, his wife just had their first baby, and he is SO awesome. At the end of the meeting, he said, "missionaries...which wheel gets the oil?" We all responded, "the one that squeaks...?" And he says "EXACTLY. You gotta squeak! Sure it's annoying, but if it wasn't squeaking, we wouldn't know there was a problem, and it wouldn't ever get what it needed!" Then he slammed his fist on the table and shouted, "SQUEAK!"

It was a memorable experience.

Anyway, I love you all so much. You are in my thoughts and prayers all the time. I am loving being a missionary. A few people we've contacted have asked us an interesting question lately...as missionaries we promise that the gospel blesses families, and that we've seen these blessings in our lives, and they are SO BIG that we are here to bring them to other people, because they've made us so happy...well, I've been asked by three different people lately...why? What are those blessings? What miracles have you seen? 

This has made me think. And now I've begun a list of ways I've specifically seen the gospel bless my life. I think you should all do that. If someone asked you to share an experience where the gospel blessed your life so much that you'd want to share it with the world, what would you say?

I LOVE YOU ALL. KEEP PRAYING AND READING AND GOING TO CHURCH AND WRITING ME LETTERS BECAUSE I LOVE IT.

Love, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment