Monday, April 28, 2014

Look for the lie......hehe

Well, it's hot outside, but it's raining, so we get to jump in a puddle, don't we?

Sorry. I'm pretty sure...Erin is the only person that will get that. But I remembered it last night and laughed pretty hard and have been bursting to start my letter out with that. (Don't disappoint me, sis.)

Anyway. How's it going, my people? As honesty is an attribute of Christ (though not listed in PMG,) I am going to just tell you all straight out that I did not write a single word in my journal this week. A SINGLE WORD. But don't worry. I wrote down some things this morning to stir my memory. I'm sure it will be enough to stir your interest. 

Let's actually make this into a game. I am going to sneakily hide one lie in this email. All of you have to guess what the lie is. Okay? Let's go.

First of all, my companion has gotten me HOOKED on something SUPER. WEIRD. So you all know how I don't like popcorn? Well, okay, I don't like it very much...but, when presented with the opportunity to eat it, I CAN'T STOP EATING IT. It's the worst, because I don't even like it. At all. Anyway...I mentioned that to my companion, and she told me that the first time she went to the movie theater in Provo (she lived there for a little bit,) she bought popcorn and then immediately asked her friends, "okay, so where's the salsa?" They all looked at her really confused...yeah, I guess in Mexico they put salsa on their popcorn?!? What the?? Anyway, she bought popcorn this last week and she squeezed a LEMON on it and then poured HOT SAUCE on it! I was dumbfounded, and she just went about making her little weird popcorn, stirring it up and all...so then...I thought...I would try it...

GREATEST. THING. EVER. Can you get in trouble for smuggling hot sauce and half a lemon into a movie theater? Because THAT is how it is DONE. They know how it is. 

Last week, I had a little extra time on the computer, so I went through and sent every single email I've ever written home to my iPad, and spent a significant portion of the day reading them. IT WAS HORRIBLE...AND AWESOME. A few things:
1) I would like to apologize to my posterity for leaving behind a nine-month-legacy of getting pooped on.
2) I am never attempting to speak Spanish in these letters ever again. "Yo Ustedes Ama"?!?!?!?!?! WHO THE HECK DID I THINK I WAS?! 
3) IT HAPPENED.

...what happened, you might ask? Well. A few weeks into the MTC I wrote a letter about bugs. We had a bit of a cockroach problem in our house, and I had to sweep up all these dead mosquitoes and I was gagging...anyway, at the end of that letter, I said that one of my goals during the mission was to become a "FEROCIOUS BUG MURDERER." (I do believe that is an exact quote.) 

Well, who would have thought that this goal would be realized, not in Mexico, not in Chile, but in TEMPE, ARIZONA? We have cockroaches in our apartment. Nothing awful, but...okay. It's awful. Just because I HATE BUGS. (Not as much as I HATE BIRDS.) But do you know who is even MORE traumatized by bugs?.....MY COMPANION. Oh my word. She squeals. You'd think a thousand of them were crawling up her arm. Anyway, at first I tried to push them aside, like if I saw one, I pretended like I didn't see it, and hoped someone else would kill it. Then one night I was laying in my bed, and I thought about how horrible AWFUL ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE it would be for one of them to be crawling around in my bed...so...the next day...in the name of sleeping peacefully...I became the Tempe cockroach murderer. I have killed SO. MANY. COCKROACHES. IT IS UNBELIEVABLE. 

So. That. As for people we are teaching...I LOVE TEMPE. We don't have a ton of people, but the people we ARE teaching are incredible. I love them!! We are teaching a girl who is 17 and her boyfriend (I think I've talked about them...she has a 3 year old daughter...?) and they are AWESOME. She is from Mexico and he is from Guatemala (I LOVE GUATEMALANS.) Anyway, they might be getting married on the 14th of June, so if you all could pray for that, that would be amazing. They are the cutest couple and WE LOVE THEM SO MUCH. 

We are also teaching a man named Juan. He's a crack up. He lives with his parents and his sister and nephew, and he always answers the door without a shirt on...and he always goes back and gets one on. (And it's not in a creepy way. He just doesn't like shirts.) Anyway, he's overcome a few addictions and is really looking for a deeper meaning in his life, a way to change. We are teaching him and his sister, and they are awesome! Pray for them, too! 

President Toone went to a big mission president's conference the other week with Elder Bednar, and this last week we had the chance to meet with President and hear about what counsel Elder Bednar gave. He told us a LOT of things...things that really, really changed...A LOT for me...but there's one thing in particular that I wanted to share. Elder Bednar told the mission presidents that he wanted the missionaries to feel SUPER "WEIRD." In fact, he wants EVERY MEMBER OF THE CHURCH to feel that way. Isn't that an odd word to want to be known as? "Weird"? But Elder Bednar said that if we do not feel "weird," we are not living the gospel of Jesus Christ.

How many times have you tried to comfortably live the gospel, and maybe compromised a little? I know I have a thousand times. BUT FEEL WEIRD, PEOPLE. Jesus Christ himself felt weird. He knew He was different. He was supposed to be. And as members of His church, WE ARE ALSO EXPECTED TO FEEL WEIRD! Weird, huh? 

Elder Bednar also said that the future of the church does not consist of chapels or meeting houses. It only consists of prophets and temples....what does that mean? A direct quote from President Toone: "The home will be the MTC. It will be the mission field. The persecution is going to increase. Something is coming. It will come down the the essence of our personal lives and homes." 

Now don't get all worked up and think the end of the world is coming next week...but I believe that what he said is true. The world is not going to accept the teachings of Christ as willingly in the near future. This time is a preparation for that. What we do now, how we live our lives, how we prepare our children will have a direct impact on our posterity's safety in these worsening times. Live the gospel! Make it a part of you TODAY. Start converting yourself fully to the gospel NOW! You will have so much security! Christ is the rock that will not be moved...build yourself on him! 

Well, that's my spiritual thought this week. I love you all so much! I can't believe...I've been out...for...more..than...three...months....ugh. I am going to stop looking at the date...

PRAY READ ATTEND LOVE (pray read the scriptures attend church love everyone the whole shabang.) AND WRITE (me.)

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE, Hermana Thomas

PS oh my gosh I forgot to tell you guys this week a GIANT APE CRASHED THROUGH OUR ROOF AND TORE UP THE FURNITURE AND ATE ALL MY HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS I'M SERIOUS IT WAS so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment