Monday, April 28, 2014

So......(letter from April 21, 2014:-)!!!

So let's get to the nitty-gritty (still haven't figured out if that's how you spell "nitty"...? Help me someone.)

9 MONTHS. NINE. COUNT 'EM. Holy cow. It seriously feels like two weeks ago that I hit 6 months in the mission. I can't believe how quickly time flies here. Why didn't the hours feel like minutes when I was sitting down practicing for my piano lesson? I remember wishing SO BAD that I had a remote control that fast-forwarded life for those few hours I spent practicing. Can I have a remote that slows time down a little, now?

My nine-month mark was a little different than I'd imagined it would be. Usually that's the point where people think, "yeah, I kind of get this mission-thing," they've kind of been around the track a few times, they get it. Well, welcome to THAT IS NEVER MY LIFE. I never know what's going on. Here I am in the middle of Arizona, learning new mission rules, new traditions, a new language (MEXICAN SPANISH. IS SO. DIFFERENT.), etc. But if there's one lesson I've learned in my life, it is to love where you are while you're there! So that's the plan. And so far, it's worked out pretty nicely.

So many things have happened in the last nine months, including...drum-roll, please.................TUBERCULOSIS. Yes, that happened. And, I am happy to announce that this week I finally started my treatment! Wahoo! (Mom can take a big, huge sigh of relief.) 

Hermana Berbert and I spent some quality time getting totally LOST in Arizona together to retrieve this medication. And while I'm glad (hopefully) that this saga in my life is finally coming to an end, let me tell you, it was not as easy as a "snap the neck" ending. It took Hermana Berbert and I TWO DAYS to get it all sorted out. Her companionship has an iPhone, so we put the address to the doctor's office in there, but lo and behold, thanks to my eternal pot of guess-what-it's-not-that-easy, the phone died in less than ten minutes of our journey, and we were left to fend for ourselves in the midst of the Gilbert Arizona deserts. Luckily, we pulled into a photography place with a REALLY nice lady who has a LOT of Latter-Day Saint friends, and she was more than happy to help us out. 

With her directions, we found the doctors office. The doctor is awesome, he's a member and doesn't charge missionaries anything, so that part was nice a quick (but not without my terrifying fears that someone somewhere in that office was preparing a needle-injection for me while I was unawares.) Anyway, then we went and took an x-ray, where there was confusion about some insurance, then we went out to search for this B-6 Vitamin in 25 mg that we have to take with out medication to avoid the side effect of our limbs going numb (kind of important,) which, SURPRISE, almost no one sells in 25 mg. Anyway, through this whole adventure, I just reminded myself how thankful I was that I was getting the help I needed. It was actually fun...Hermana Berbert and I rehashed them ol' Chilean memories, and talked about how excited we are to work in Arizona. 

Really, this mission is so cool. It's so different, but it's so cool! I love it here. I love the President and his wife, the missionaries, and especially the people! Arizona, man...it's its own thing.

This week was also scattered with some more "Baby's First"s. Hermana Berbert and I "stumbled upon" (code words for "searched embarrassingly-diligently for") a Chic-Fil-A...chicken nuggets have never tasted so heavenly. I also indulged myself with my first pint of Ben and Jerry's cookie-dough ice cream. (#health) (It was me and a spoon. That was nice.)

Hermana Arellano and I got to help with the Easter Pageant again! It was so awesome. There were two highlights of the night. I will start with the spiritual one: we were all given little hand outs to give to people, inviting them to visit the Visitor's Center. I got to a group of women, two daughters and their elderly mother, who I assumed were members since they had been to the pageant for years, now. However, when they asked me if I was just visiting and I replied that I was a missionary, they asked, "what does that mean?" and I realized that these three women were actually not members! I talked with them for a little bit about the church's missionaries, and they asked me if it was hard to sacrifice my life before to be doing what I am doing now. I told them that it was a little hard, but that I LOVE what I'm doing SO MUCH now, because I've seen the joy the gospel brings into my life, and I love to share that with others. One of the women immediately said, "I can tell, because there is a light around you, and you glow!" That comment really touched me. Sometimes I think that I take the gospel for granted in my life, but we really do GLOW when we live it! Other people notice it! It lights them up! This comment was one of my favorite moments so far in my mission.

The other highlight is that Hermana Arellano and I "stumbled upon" (remember the code word) a sheep to pet! Cast members were walking around before hand letting the kids touch real, live sheep, and we found one! THEY ARE SO SOFT. The rest of the night, Hermana Arellano was explaining how she believes wholeheartedly that every apartment in the mission should have at least one sheep, as a reminder to find the "lost sheep." She made a good case. 

My companion also has a habit of calling herself "Sister Pooh." For a while I thought she was saying "Sister Poo" and I kept wondering why on earth she was saying that, but I finally asked this week, and she said it's because she's gotten so fat on her mission that her shirts bunch up on her stomach like Winnie the Pooh. 

Well, everyone, the mission is awesome! But even more awesome than that is the gospel of Jesus Christ! I love it! It has the answers to everything, it can heal every wound, and it brings light where there is darkness. Two days ago we met a woman who has harbored some really negative feelings for more than two years over the death of her young son. She doesn't understand why he was taken from her. It has obviously left some serious wounds in her soul. We are so excited to go back and teach the Plan of Salvation...that her son is not lost! That in fact he is SAVED through Jesus Christ. I love the gospel!

Keep reading and praying and serving! And LOVING. I loved President Monson's simple talk about Charity and Love. We can all do better.

O ;PBR UPI S;;@

...okay. that sentence was "I LOVE YOU ALL" with my fingers on the wrong part of the keyboard. But...it conveys the message, I think.

LOVE, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment