Monday, April 28, 2014

Hello---Letter from April 7, 2014

Hello, everyone! I will just tell you one MAJOR bummer to being in the United States...no more Spanish keyboards, which means CHOW to my awesome upside down exclamation points...(I'm sure I could find it if I tried real hard...nah.)
How are all of you?? I'm doing great. It's been a little rough for me to adjust to a new mission, but as for the people and the work, I am loving it! 

First of all, I went on my first Good-Will trip last week. Apparently this is a thing. We walked into this giant store house of thousands of blue baskets filled to the BRIM with smelly clothes and useless, broken items. We were seriously digging through these piles for gold. I could not believe the culture I encountered there...THOUSANDS of women, pushing and shoving, grabbing and hogging, throwing and diving for...something they didn't know existed! (By the way, props to me, has anyone noticed I found the apostrophe key??) Anyway, I actually got two good finds. One is a dress that i cut up and turned into a skirt (I am currently wearing it this minute,) and another...oh my word. I wish you could all see it. AGH I should have taken a picture. It is...a 'MURICA shirt. It's giant, red white and blue MADNESS. We ran into the Zone Leaders there and they were breakin some major "thou shalt not covet"s there. They wanted that shirt. They called it a "treasure." 

We also found a really pretty picture frame, but when Hermana Homer picked it up, we found that it came fully-furnished with a photo of the creepiest looking grandma I have ever seen. We almost convinced the elders that it was my grandmother. 

Then on Tuesday...I got hit by a truck and died. JUST KIDDING APRIL FOOLS (...sorry guys. I just downed a Doctor Pepper and it's showing.) We actually had our zone meeting that day, and the sister training leaders made us a very creative lunch...ice-cream that looked like hawaiian haystacks, meatloaf that looked like cake (topped with mashed-potato frosting,) juice with straws that actually turned out to be jello, and something that looked like water but actually tasted like bananas. I was thoroughly impressed.

Also, great news...I HAVE A WONDERFUL BICYCLE. (Thank you, family!!!) I feel so much better on that bike. No more squeaking...

Speaking of bikes, one night my companion and I were riding to an appointment. It was a little late, but we were making sure to ride on the busy streets with as much light as possible. The busy street made a right turn, so we followed it...and...

Okay, first of all, it's a little funny because the missionaries here told us that there were SO MANY DOGS HERE. Hermana Berbert and I were like...yeah. We just came from Chile. Bring it on.
The truth is, there are a LOT of Chihuahuas. I'll give that to them. TONS of little Chihuahuas. (There is one in particular who is black with a red collar...I swear, if Satan had a dog...) BUT...nothing. NOTHING compared to Chile. But these dogs do have a very annoying habit of chasing people on bikes...for a long time. There have been a few times where I've honestly had the thought, "should I run this dog over?" I've seriously felt like Nephi when Laban was presented into his hands..."it is better that one satanic-chihuahua dies than thousands to perish in unbelief..." (or something like that.) But...don't worry. Eventually, common sense kicks in. "Thou shalt not kill."

Anyway, we turn this corner, and out of the darkness this little itty bitty Chihuahua comes prancing out of his yard to chase us away, so we start peddling a little faster...and then, out of the SHADOWS of the DEEP UNKNOWN, RIGHT EXACTLY next to Hermana Homer, THIS HUGE. GIGANTIC. MONSTER OF A DOG comes BOUNDING out of the shadows, BARKING AND HOWLING AND BOLTING RIGHT FOR HERMANA HOMER.

I tell you, I have NEVER heard a scream from anyone like I heard from her that night. This dog was full on FLYING after her, and I just hear "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" and I am just helplessly watching this scene unfold before my very eyes...

It probably only lasted, like, two seconds, but I swear it could have been two minutes that I watched my companion peddle herself away from this dog. Then he gave up and sunk back into the shadows. But I think we both almost died of shock. It took a few minutes, but we finally started laughing so hard I almost fell off of my bike.

So there's your story for the week.

As for things I'm actually doing...some of you have probably noticed that I am cleaning out my Facebook. THIS IS THE WORST. All I'm going to say is...nothing is more personally humiliating than to realize that you, yourself, in fact, were that annoying eighth-grader on Facebook. I'M DISGUSTED. But I'm actually really excited to just finish cleaning it up so that I can use it as a missionary tool! I'll let you know more about that when I start really using it. 

This week was GENERAL CONFERENCE! Did you all watch it? Let me know what you loved. I especially liked Elder Nelson's talk about living ALL of our lives as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Do your friends know you are "a mormon?" Do they know your standards and believes? How about co-workers? Acquaintances? WE SHOULD LIVE IT SO LOUD AND PROUD. 

As a companionship, we really put an emphasis on having sincere prayers this week, too. I loved this! We've tried to pray for people by name and specific necessity. We've also tried to be more grateful for things than we are asking for things. It's been a really amazing experience. You should all make that effort with me!

And, I have news...last night we found out CAMBIOS, and I'm actually leaving! In fact, everyone in the house is being transferred except for Hermana Homer! I've got some mixed emotions, here. I LOVE HERMANA HOMER. She is so great. I'm so grateful that I got to come into the mission with someone who made me laugh so much! 

In this mission, they don't tell you where you're going or who your companion will be until a big meeting on Wednesday called "Transfer Meeting," so...I'm afraid that's all for now!

I hope everything is awesome for you all! I love you all so much! With all my heart! Read and pray every single day. Keep me in your prayers, too! 

LOVE, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment