Sunday, July 6, 2014

Big News Time.....(May 19, 2014...yep, I am behind!)

I HIT TEN MONTHS. I SERIOUSLY CANNOT BELIEVE IT. I seriously cannot believe it. This transfer...flew by. Shortest six weeks of my life.

I feel like there is so much to say in this letter...first of all, we found out that we will be receiving two new sister missionaries into the ward. As of right now, there are four of us (two sister missionaries and two elders.) Now we will have four sisters and two elders. Let's hear it for outnumbering finally! (Just kidding. Not a competition. But. Yeah. Kind of.) But, with the entrance of two new sisters also comes the deal of dividing the area...again...THAT IS NEVER FUN. Dividing the area is kind of the worst. We all met together with the Zone Leaders and mapped it out. The other set of sister missionaries is going to be biking only, so we had to find a section of our area with a lot of concentrated Spanish work...that was hard, because neither of us companionships wanted to give up part of our area...but we finally found a really good balance and Hermana Arellano and I feel really good about it! I think the elders do, too. 

Also, let's get the BIG NEWS OF THE WEEK:

I NEVER HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTOR FOR TUBERCULOSIS EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was not without it's struggles, however. Hermana Berbert and I went back for our follow-up appointment to see how the medication is going, and YES I HAD TO HAVE A BLOOD TEST AGAIN. I AM SO DONE WITH THIS. I started mini-hyperventilating, and went on this little rant about "WHY ME, HEAVENLY FATHER? WHY, OF ALL MY WEAKNESSES, WHY HAS THIS BEEN SUCH A THEME OF MY MISSION. NO ONE CAN GIVE ME A GOOD REASON OTHER THAN AWFUL LUCK. WHY MUST MY FEAR OF NEEDLES BE CHALLENGED IN THIS TIME ETC ETC ETC." Hermana Berbert simply turned to me and said, "in order to become like God, we must overcome every weakness." #spiritualslapintheface #itworked

Actually, the lady who took our blood was the best shot-giver I have ever known. I didn't hardly feel it. She's amazing. #blessings

A miracle moment: a few weeks ago some elders in our zone gave us a menos activo to go visit. We tried to find him a few times, but could never figure out how to get into his house, and eventually gave up. A few days ago, however, we decided to try again...this time, a man was outside, and informed us that the man we were looking for had recently moved a few streets away, and that his apartment number was 105. He gave us some super vague instructions on how to get there, and we hopped in the car and decided to give it a go. When we got to this apartment complex, we found out that there were six different apartment 105's in the area, so we decided to knock on all of them. None of them were correct, though, and it was SO hot outside, so we decided to call it good and go back to the car. On our way back, we walked past a lady with her back to us, sitting outside a building. I felt like we should talk to her, but before I had turned, I found that my companion was walking towards her, too! (I later found out that she had felt the same way.) 

I was surprised to find that this woman was actually crying. We asked if there was something we could do for her, and she shook her head. We stood there for a little bit, then my companion and I sat next to her and gave her a huge hug...a perfect stranger! But it didn't feel weird at all. I felt this overwhelming love for her, even though she hadn't even told us her name yet. We sat, and found out that it had something to do with her husband, and that maybe he is abusive, but that was all we could get out of her. But she seemed to appreciate having someone next to her, so we talked to her about how Jesus Christ can help to heal every relationship in a family, and how we can find peace in him. Then my companion asked me to sing "Come, Come Ye Saints" (In spanish is is called "Oh, esta todo bien"...like "all is well") so I did, and she seemed to feel better by the end. We left her with a prayer, and asked if we could come by and visit her again, and she said yes. 

Who knows if anything more will happen? We hope she will be open to our message, but maybe the Lord just needed us to search for this less active so that we would be in the right place at the right time to help this woman. I love being guided like that! It is so awesome! I really know that the Lord guides us to the people who need us. Not just missionaries! All of us can be guided by the Lord. The people around us are the people He has entrusted us with! Does that change the way you look at the people you interact with every day? It does for me.

Also, my dad can do a big jump for joy, because I was asked this week to sing at the Mission President's Fireside that he gives every month. Missionaries can bring conversos recientes or investigators and listen to some really awesome messages...anyway, I sang "I Know that My Redeemer Lives." It was really awesome! I love to use my talents to serve God and others. Also, it was the first time I've really sung in about...10 months...so that felt good!

So. More big news. 

I JUST GOT CALLED AS A TRAINER!!

I am SO STOKED! I am SO PSYCHED oh my word you have no idea! I am so excited. President Toone called last night and extended the call, and I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure that Hermana Arellano and I would stay together at least one more transfer. Turns out, they are dividing us up, so one of us will be in the companionship with the bikes and the other with the car! Honestly...I hope I get the car...it is getting SO HOT outside!! But, I'll do whatever they want. I'M JUST SO EXCITED TO TRAIN!!! Mi hijita esta en el CCM en este momentito y estoy TAN ANIMADA PARA CONOCERLA! 

So I will still get to live with Hermana Arellano, and I am so happy about that! She is the best. Such a great worker. I have loved being companions with her!

BIGGEST NEWS OF ALL:

HERMANA ARELLANO KILLED A COCKROACH TODAY. I WAS SO PROUD OF HER. But...she did drown it in hairspray first. And it was not without wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

ALSO MORE BIG NEWS: My little Chilean family got baptized last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried when I found out, I was so happy. It is the most amazing feeling in the world. I love them so much. Thank you to anyone who prayed for them way back when I was still training! 

And to top it off, one more tidbit for ya: 

Voy a estar en casa para la Navidad! Yo recibi una llamada de la oficina de la misión hace unas semanas pidiendo cual fecha yo queria regresar a mi casa entre enero y diciembre ... era angustiosa para decidir, pero despues de mucha oracion y hablar con mi presidente de mision, hemos llegado a la conclusion de que tengo que estar en casa en diciembre. Fue una decisión muy dificil, porque ME ENCANTA ser una misionera! Me encanta tener este llamamiento. Pero me siento muy confiado en mi decision, y yo voy a vivir el resto de mi mision al maximo para estas 7 meses mas!

That paragraph is for all of you to google translate...especially my sisters. I really hope I got the grammar right...if not...ask someone who speaks gringo-spanish to translate, please...
SO. LOTS OF NEWS THIS WEEK. Hope you all had a moment to catch your breath from so much news. Especially that one about the cockroach.

But I love you all so much! BEING A MISSIONARY, MAN. It's the best.

I LOVE YOU! KEEP READING YOUR BOOKS OF MORMON AND PRAYING TO GOD. He is listening!

LOVE, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment