Sunday, July 6, 2014

Holla Back (May 12, 2014)

Well on Monday I zap-fried a sweet potato in the microwave. Walmart has neat stuff. #
sincewhenisithealthytomicrowaveasweetpotato #diditanywayz #itwasnotthatgood

Now that that's over with, I have a miracle moment to share: do you all know what a "kazukee" is? (I may or may not have butchered the spelling of that word. #youdecide #hashtagmonday #someonestopthehashtagsplease ) Well, I was introduced to it by someone a few months before they left on their mission, and let me tell you, IT. IS. HEAVEN. It's basically a GIANT COOKIE topped with ice cream and chocolate chips and except I'm pretty sure they substitute sugar with the HAPPY TEARS OF ANGELS. 

Anyway, Hermana Arellano and I decided to go to this place called "Oregano's" one night that we didn't have dinner...just to get a kazukee. (Remember how I told you I was eating healthy, Mom...?) So we sat down and the waitress took our order for one MONSTROUS COOKIE OF DELICIOUSNESS, and we patiently waited until they brought out our dessert. OH MY GOSH, BETTER THAN I REMEMBERED. So good. SOOOOOOOooOooOOoOOOOOoooo good. We didn't talk, we just ate it. So good. 

As we were finishing, the waitress came over and asked if we liked it. We said YES and she said, "that's good! And when you're done, you can just head out because someone is paying for it." 

WHAT. Yes. For real. Two possibilities: 1) a member or friend of the church recognized us as missionaries and was kind enough to pay for the cookie, or 2) some guy thought we were attractive and bought it for us. But I am just going to cancel that second one out completely as even a possibility because we were pretty much snarfing this cookie as fast as we could. #manners

But really...I have actually been eating healthy this week. Believe it or not. You know, ramen is great for a few days, but when you're absolutely starving for lunch and you look at a ramen package...well...let's just say that those moments have been some of my least-charitable in the mission. 

SO. I went way back to a few years ago when I did this healthy-eating-thing with my mom, which included oatmeal with agave and blue berries every morning with an egg on the side, then for lunch a sandwich with turkey and a ton of vegetables. I don't remember what dinner was, but honestly, YEAH RIGHT like I'm ever going to eat anything healthy at dinner for the next nine months. The members feed us so much food and it's so good but...not exactly diet-approved. 

Which brings me to another small point that I LOVE mexican food. The real stuff. So good. So spicy, though. Sometimes I feel it in my chest for a few hours after. But it's so good.

So, to the work of salvation...we had a few days this week where absolutely no one opened their door. One day, I kid you not, we had at least two or three back up plans for every half hour, and we visited EVERY name on that list, and NO ONE let us in. No one. They either didn't open the door or didn't have time. It was crazy, I couldn't believe it. 

Brenda and Gustavo are still super awesome!! But they didn't make it to church this week. We were so sad! But we ate at their house for lunch on Saturday and it was so yummy! (Back to real mexican food.) Brenda's parents were there and we talked to them a lot, and we might start teaching them, too. That would be awesome!

We had an interesting lesson with Delfino. He's really struggling. He's told us a thousand times that he doesn't drink, but the other day we drove up to his house to see him drinking with a friend and his dad. So our next lesson, he was feeling a little defensive, and said, "well, Jesus drank wine...so why can't I?"

...okay, Delfino. We love you, but...two things.

1) That kind of wine was pure, not the alcoholic garbage this world has turned it into.
2) Jesus Christ also suffered and died to pay for the sins of all mankind so that one day we can all be resurrected and return to live in God's presence. Explain to me again why you're entitled to do everything He did?

Anyway...we're a little sad, because he is really struggling. At one point he said, "yeah, but like, Jesus wasn't even perfect. He made mistakes too, right?" 

...no, Delfino. We're really sorry to break it to you, but...no.

Anyway, keep praying for them! We seriously love all of the people we are teaching so much! It is really sad for missionaries when their investigators either don't get it or don't want it. 

I TALKED TO MY FAMILY YESTERDAY! IT WAS SO FUN! Ireland is SO TALL. Still not over it. Not going to be for a while.

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH. Les amo muchisimo! I can't wait to see you again!

The mission is the greatest. Keep sharing the gospel with your friends and family. Help them come to Christ. Have you ever thought about how awesome it is that serving our fellow men is actually a COMMANDMENT from God? We are literally COMMANDED and will be JUDGED as to whether or not we helped His other children come back to live with Him again. If you think you're only here to help yourself...you're wrong! That's how much God loves each of us!

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH WITH ALL MY HEART. Read the scriptures and pray every morning and every night. 

LOVE, Hermana Thomas!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment