Sunday, July 6, 2014

Well, well, well...let's see what the cat dragged in! (June 16, 2014)

Just so you know, my subject line has nothing to do with anything.

HOLA MIS AMADOS AMIGOS. COMO ESTAN TODOS? I really miss my upside-down question marks. :( sad face.

So I did a little better with my journal this week. I promise. I wrote THREE TIMES! :) :) They were a little scatter-brained, but I managed to do it. So here is the throw-up of my brain this week:

Remember how I told you that we moved last week? Well, we're still in the process of unpacking. You just don't have any time! Anyway, we realized that we were missing a few important things from our kitchen supplies, namely a toaster, blender, a few cookie sheets, a muffin pan, (all my foreign-serving friends can roll their eyes a little bigger, yeah, yeah, I know, spoiled state-siders,) and some plates. I was fairly upset because I had just bought a bunch of awesome stuff to make smoothies in the mornings--something I have never done before. (My mom's turn to roll her eyes.) But seriously, I searched high and low for a box that we hadn't unpacked, but the items were nowhere to be found. 

Flash forward to Wednesday morning. I was in splits with Sister Roth, our sister training leader, and had just finished detailing my frustrations of the missing blender, and was about to jump into the shower when I hear Sister Roth call, "umm, what is THIS box, Sister Thomas...?" I turn around, and realize that she is standing right next to a HUGE GIGANTIC BOX THAT HAS BEEN SITTING QUITE OBVIOUSLY IN-THE-WAY in our room for this entire week. Guess what? It is filled with KITCHEN STUFF. Yep! It's all there! And more! AND IT WAS SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR ROOM THIS WHOLE TIME. Neither I nor my greenie had thought to unpack it, not to mention even WONDER what might be inside it, although I remember many a time that I had kicked it out of my way in frustration, since it was always in the way! 

So what's really important about this story is that I have been making SMOOTHIES and they are good.

Also, Friday the thirteenth happened. I noticed that much.

Another thing...so there is this McDonald's across from these apartment buildings that we work in a lot. There is this owl that sits right above the "M" and makes this AWFUL screeching noise all day. It's horrible. Anyway, when we first saw it, I was like...that's not real. But Hermana Johnson insisted that it was, and we even watched it for a minute to see if it moved, then it turned it's head toward us, and we freaked out, and we were like "IT'S REAL IT'S REAL" and ran off all nervous. 

Well, once again, flash-forward to my split with Sister Roth. We get to this apartment complex, I see/hear this owl, and I tell Sister Roth about it. She looks over and is like, "that's not real." I was like "YES IT IS LOOK ITS HEAD MOVES." So we sit and watch it for a bit, and the whole time she's asking me questions like, "does it ever move anything but it's head?" or "is it there all day long?" and all that...well, it's head moves, but by this time, I'm like...wait. Owls don't screech like that. So then I've got Sister Roth making fun of me, and I'm just trying to figure out why I even thought it was real in the first place, then we drive past it to make sure, and YEP IT IS SOoOoOoOooOOooOoOOoOoOoOOOOOOOO plastic!!!!!!!!!!!! This owl is for real giving me stress! Then with Sister Johnson, we're like, WE HAVE TO KNOW so we used the bathroom in there, and asked the employees, and none of them even knew why it's up there! Maybe to scare away birds? I'm like...since when does McDonald's care when birds poop on their roof...? What's with the sudden sanitary-mindedness?

So that's that. I still love training! We are having a blast! We've had some hard things, sure, but the great thing is that she and I get along, and that is super important. It's hard to keep your spirits up with someone you don't consider a friend! 

Since apparently she wrote in a letter of hers a few weeks ago about me almost getting nailed by a car, I feel justified to tell you that she sometimes talks in her sleep, and last night was the greatest yet. I wake up in the middle of the night to her asking me "are you awake, Hermana Thomas?" I'm like..."I am, now..." She goes, "...WHOA. Are you standing up!??" I'm like..."no...I am laying down...I just woke up..." She's like "...oh. I have to use the bathroom." "Well go use it." She says "I don't know where it is!" all frustrated, and I'm like "IT'S OVER THERE" pointing into the pitch black space where the bathroom is. She's like "oh" and I hear her get up, take a few steps, and then a big crashing sound, I'm like "are you okay?!?!" and she's like "yeah" and then she comes back out and says to me "I'm awake, now." I'm like "good, go to bed." Well then in the morning we were talking about it, and I asked her what she tripped over, and she says "I ran into the door. It was closed."

We have so much fun.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...TODAY IS MY SIX-MONTHS-LEFT. Start picking our your best black, we're gonna have a funeral pretty soon. I'M DYING. 
Okay, just kidding. BUT I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE that I have been out for as long as I have. I get this sick feeling thinking about that I have so little time left. It's so weird. But...it's actually a lot of time, and I'm super happy about that! But I just can't believe it. It seems like just a month ago I was in La Florida being trained, teaching mi familia chilena...

This week I've been studying a lot about "hope." Sister Roth and I talked about how the world has construed the word "hope" to mean something different than it is. Like, we say, "I hope she comes" when we actually doubt she will, you know? We use it in a doubtful way. We talked about how sometimes when we knock doors, we have faith that someone COULD be prepared and let us in...but do we have HOPE that someone WILL? Hope is kind of like an expectation of something good! Not just wishful thinking!

Isn't that interesting? I've been working so hard on my hope. It's hard to tell yourself that you hope something will happen when something in you tries to dumb-down your expectations naturally...to protect yourself from disappointment. But don't do that! Expect the best, and live worthy of it! Then you will receive it!

In terms of investigators, this week was a lot of finding. Jesus had another baptismal date, but once again, didn't make it to church, so it fell through again. :( But we have hope that something will change! All out other investigators are about the same. Just keep praying for a miracle!

I LOVE YOU ALL TO DEATH TO DEATH TO DEATHHHH how is your reading and praying and going to church?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Hermana Thomasito

No comments:

Post a Comment