Sunday, September 28, 2014

Drowning in Grapes! Letter from August 11, 2014

This week was quite interesting. I only wrote in my journal twice, though...but I don't even blame myself at all. This week was crazy!

But first of all...how's everyone doing? I love you all.

Yep so back to me...

I don't even know how to start this email...I guess...I drowned in grapes this week. We are teaching this lady named Esperanza, she's this pretty ancient Mexican lady who seriously CRACKS ME UP. She is exactly what I would imagine an abuelita mexicana is. She's super sassy, and just says what she wants. She sits and talks, talks, talks about her medications and how all the doctors are stupid and how her sons are stupid and her husband is stupid...she can talk for hours and hours, I swear. And it's really hard to teach anything because she just rolls over you. But a TON of her family is LDS and she loves when we come over. I don't know...it's and interesting situation.

Anyway, the other night Hermana Johnson and I were wrapping up a lesson quick because we had a 25 minute bike ride back to our apartment to do exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders. She was like, "do you want grapes?" and we were like, "no, thanks, we're okay," but she just stands up and starts washing grapes. (And Hermana Johnson and I were also completely stuffed from our last visit we'd had.) So she brings over two bowls and a huge thing of grapes and is like, "eat." So we each grab a few grapes and Esperanza just keeps talking about her kids, I'm literally inhaling these grapes because we have to go, and when we're both done we say, "oh, thank you so much, we have to go," and she's like, "do you want more grapes?" and we're like, "no thanks," and she's like, "did you like my grapes?" and we're like "yes they were really good" and she's like "THEN WHY WON'T YOU EAT MORE?!" so we just start shoving armfuls of grapes into our mouths and you don't even understand there were SO MANY GRAPES IN THAT BOWL. AND SOME OF THEM WERE MUSHY. Oh that just sicks me out. Mushy grapes. Anyway, we finally finished, and we stand up to go without even saying a prayer (I know, shame on us, but we were not going to escape) and finally started on our way home...15 minutes later.

Even so...Mexican grandmas are the best.

We also had a member from our ward randomly send us pictures of her baby Shi-tzu. Cute...but...what? Why? We still don't know.

Also...drum-roll, please................BRENDA GOT BAPTIZED!! Ya'll remember Brenda? Brenda and Gustavo? Well, Brenda was baptized and confirmed this weekend. It was so awesome! I seriously love her so much. Hermana Arellano and Hermana Raynor have been the ones teaching her these last two transfers, but I really felt like it was my baptism, too! I love her so bad. 

On that note...a miracle happened. We had sent out a text to our teaching pool reminding them to come to the baptism...turns out, no one got it...but Hermano Alex (you know, Alex is less active and his wife, Blanca, is an investigator) just happened to come to the chapel that day to play soccer with some other members. He saw the baptism and came inside to watch. He sat next to us, and he was really attentive. Then as a closing hymn we sang "Families Can Be Together Forever," and we could tell that he was a little emotional during the song. 

Afterward, he came up to me and Hermana Johnson and told us a lot of things that had been going through his head recently. He told us that he'd never wanted to be married or have kids...but that changed when he and Blanca had their first son. Now they have two boys, but they still aren't married...anyway, he was pretty tearful as he told us that he finally has realized that he has been holding Blanca back all these years, and that now he feels like he has to be the example for her and his kids by reactivating himself in the church, getting married, and helping her progress to baptism! And he said that he wants to get married soon...like...within two months or less!

Hermana Johnson and I were in shock shock SHOCK. We were so excited, we were kind of (I was kind of) jumping up and down...but he was really sweet about it, and he told us that millions of missionaries have come by their house, but that she and I were the first ones that seemed to have opened their hearts to the gospel. 

We have seen so many changes in them in the last few weeks...especially Hermano Alex. The first time he came to church, he was in a T-shirt and jeans. The next week, jeans and a polo. Next week, jeans and a button up shirt. Then with a tie. Then dress pants. For crying out loud, he gelled his hair this week!! WE LOVE THEM SO MUCH. They are just absolutely progressing. It is such a miracle. 

This last week I've begun to see even more profoundly why I was assigned to La Florida B last August with Hermana Pineda as my first area. Here I am, in Tempe Arizona, shaking the hand of some less active member from Honduras, and I think I played a role in changing his life. In building an eternal family. I'd brave Tuberculosis for that. Again.

THE CHURCH IS SO TRUE. IT IS SO TOTALLY TRUE. 

So..........now for the hard part.................

We are getting white-washed. :( 

Hermana Johnson and I are pretty down about it. They are taking us both out of our area and throwing two new missionaries in (we are guessing that they will be elders.) 

Do you know what is harder than white-washing in? White-washing out. Especially after a miracle like that with Alex and Blanca. They are going to be pretty sad. Ugh, it kind of stinks, I LOVE THIS AREA SO MUCH. This is the first time I've felt this strongly about an area before. I think it's because my greenie and I have super duper built it up from pretty much scratch, and we love our people SO MUCH. 

But...I have faith that President Toone is inspired of God, and that the best thing for our area will be done. Still. Bummer. 

That also means that Hermana Johnson and I are getting split up...SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO SAD. I love her SO BAD YOU DON'T EVEN KNOOOOOOOOOOOOW. I am so bummed. 

Oh, yeah, and.................................I got called as a Sister Training Leader?!?!?!?!? After all this craziness, that little fact definitely threw a wrench into the equation. 

I am super excited about this new calling (although I super wanted to train again...) This means I could be companions again with Sister Homer! That would be the bomb.com. But...we'll see!

Pray for our investigators please! Especially Blanca and Alex, so that they can continue to progress with new missionaries!

And just...pray in general!

I LOVE YOU SO BAD YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Con Amooooooooor, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment