Sunday, September 28, 2014

I. AM. ALIVE. Letter from August 20, 2014

YES. I AM ALIVE. I'm better than alive...I just got back from the Temple! It was so amazing! SO amazing. I love the Mesa Temple. And all temples. But today I like Mesa best.

...yes, it is Wednesday...no, I am not breaking mission rules...we switched P-Days this week! (Just this week.) (Because of the temple trip.) So...here I am writing you in the middle of the week! Different, huh? #tbt to Thursday P-Days in MexicooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

Anyway. You all have permission to ciberly-smack-me-in-the-face because..............................................................drum roll............................................................................i didn't write in my journal for 10 days. :(

I remember pretty well, though. Tuesday of last week we went by as many people as we could (Hermana Johnson and I) (I miss that girl...) to say goodbye! A couple were actually pretty disappointed, which is cool but also not cool, since we really want them to progress for the gospel, not for the missionaries...but I know they will! It's always hard to leave your area, because you just develop so much love for the people you serve! It was especially difficult to say goodbye to Blanca and Alex and their cute kids. I love them to death. It was a little tearful, but I know that the missionaries who came in will take good care of them!

So then...transfer meeting! Sister Johnson got assigned with Sister Greenhaulgh, who came into the field at the same time as her! WHAT?!? We were super duper shocked! That's kind of unheard of, since they both have about the same level of Spanish and are pretty much just out of training...but I am so proud of mi hija! She is going to be awesome! They went on down to Casa Grande. And I...........drummmmmm roooooooooollllllllllllllllll.......................

.............GOT PUT WITH HERMANA HOMER! (Yeah, you all knew that anyway, because of that Facebook video, but I thought I'd drum-roll it anyway.) I was so excited! I knew it, I knew we were going to be companions. 

For those of you just tuning in, when I was switched from Chile to Arizona, I was put with Hermana Homer for two weeks to adjust to this mission. At the end of our time together, Hermana Homer got called to train. She said to me, "just wait and see. I will train for one transfer, then the next transfer I will get called Sister Training Leader and you will be a trainer, then you'll train for two transfers and then get called Sister Training Leader as well, then we'll be companions and I'll kill you in Yuma." (Pretty sure killing me in Yuma...not gonna happen. But. The rest of it has.)

Freaky, right? Anyway, we got assigned companions, and we are serving in M-M-M-Mesaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (I don't know why I keep doing long vowels. I am SUPER HUNGRY AND NOT IN MY RIGHT MIND.) We are living with a member who is just absolutely LOVELY. Her name is Sister Barnes, she's a widow, and she has a beautiful, I mean BEAUTIFUL house. It has a flipping lake in the back! And a little square dock! And a back patio! And just so many things! And when you walk on her carpet you feel like you're dancing on a cloud. Also, her house is like sound-proofed on the inside, sounds don't even happen. I don't know how to explain it. Also, she has a chihuahua named Sugar, we call her "shoogs" or "azucar" and she's a little punk but she was trained to give kisses on people's noses when they bend down, and she's like OCD or something because whenever she goes anywhere she has to walk in circles. Like, she kisses you on the nose, then runs in a circle, then kisses you on the nose again, then runs in a circle. BUT she will NOT let you touch her...it's super annoying...because I just want to pet her and love her but she won't let anyone except for Sister Barnes touch her. If you try, she will tell you off, man. Trust me. 

Last night Sister Barnes was holding her and she passed her to me and I touched her for the first time! She was shaking so bad! She hated it. But I'm like, come on, I just want to love you, Shoogs.

Let's see...what else this week...we ate some supes nast spaghetti last night for dinner. It was mushy leftovers that we found on the freezer (we ran out of food...) But then a member brought us some IN-N-OUT and it was the bomb. I've also grown quite fond of chocolate concretes from Culvers with reeses peanut butter cups and brownies mixed in. I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW.

Okay, I think this email sounds like we haven't done anything but eat and play with dogs this week. We've actually been working a lot the past few days, reorganizing our area, cleaning out the areabook, kind of starting from not-quite-scratch and working to build the area back up! We are super excited to be companions again. We have been making companionship goals and all that. I'm looking forward to this transfer!

Hermana Homer is awesome. She is a crack up. The other day we felt a little overwhelmed about all the organizing and I had her lay on the ground while I walked in circles around her doing a relaxation exercise I learned in my Psych 101 class. So I guess you could say that we're already comfortable around each other.

Well, everybody, I've been thinking a lot about the Plan of Salvation and Gospel of Jesus Christ this week. How much happiness it gives us! And how simple it is! I have thought about the sacrifice that Christ performed on our behalf. I thought about if I had been in His place. I thought of my sisters, my mom, my dad, even my friends, and I thought, if someone asked me to sacrifice myself for any of them, would I do it? I decided that the answer would be yes. But then I thought about...what about someone I'd never met? What about some random Joe on the side of the street, waiting for a bus? What about that lady driving that car in the next lane over? Would I do it for them? That answer was a little more difficult. 

Then I've thought...two things. 1) Christ's love is extended towards EVERYONE. We cannot comprehend it. And 2) He must know each of us--everyone who has or will ever live on the earth--as we know our mothers, fathers, siblings, friends. He knows each of us THAT well...and even better! How amazing is that? How does that change how you feel towards the people you don't know? Doesn't it make you want to know them? To discover what it is that makes them so special to our Savior? 

I do! I love that thought. 

Anyway, I hope everything is absolutely lovely on your end. Sorry that this email was a little improvised. I will try to send pictures if I can! But I LOVE YOU ALL TO DEATH. How's the Book of Mormon reading going?!?!

Loooooove, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment