Sunday, September 28, 2014

Well. Letter from August 25, 2014

Howdy, ya'll! How's it goin' out yonder? That was weird. Okay, I do not AND WILL NEVER say howdy. It's just...so not me. BUT. I have fallen into the ya'llin. I ya'll. I'm sorry. That's what state-side-missionary-ing has done to me. #loveit
So it's only been four days...I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I'm reaching for things to say. I mean, a LOT of things happened, but I'm not really sure how to write about them. (I wrote one time in my journal.) (This morning.)

But it's for real, I don't know how to write things that happened this weekend! I guess I'll start out with the highlight: we had a Mission Leadership Council meeting on Saturday with Elder Robbins from the Presidency of the Seventy! It was absolutely amazing. I LEARNED SO MUCH. He talked about Agency, Responsibility and Control. How are those related? IT WAS SO INTERESTING. I really thought that I had studied enough on that topic, but I learned SO MUCH. What more can I say...I LEARNED SO MUCH. 

He talked about how it is a natural reflex for us as human beings to want agency but avoid responsibility. We complied a huge list of things people do to avoid responsibility:

Blame
Excuse
Self-Justify
Flee
Hide
Lie
Not Forgive
Deny
Rebel
Self-Pity
etc

The list was pretty long, and the over-arching theme was PRIDE. He called this list the "loser-list." And it really is! Because the more we resort to this list in order to avoid responsibility for our actions, the more we lose control of our situation, thus the less agency we have. He said that making people try to avoid responsibility is the "back-door approach" that Satan uses to take away our agency. 

Anger is a CHOICE. IT ALWAYS IS. 

The scary part about this seminar though...was...HE TALKED ABOUT MARRIAGE. *shiver* Yeah, he was pretty super focused on marriage and raising kids. And all us missionaries were taking notes like crazy and also cringing at the thought. He was on the board recently of reviewing cases for temple cancellations, and he said a lot about that. He said that people rarely said "I got angry." They would say that them and their spouse "fell out of love," as if it wasn't their choice at all. He said that in most cases both parties reverted back to the "loser-list." 

Guess what? YOU choose to be bothered. YOU choose to love or to not. When you revert to the list, however, you lose control. Control doesn't lose you...YOU lose CONTROL. YOU lose it.

It was super amazing. My mind was kind of swirling by the end because of how much I took in and was trying to retain. But it's something I TOTALLY can't wait to come home and talk about with all of you in person. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAN WHAT I JUST TYPED. It was life-changing. 

We have another General Authority coming for a Mission Tour this Thursday, and I am so excited! This is with all the missionaries, not just the MLC. President Toone asked if I would sing at it, so I'm singing "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul." Hermana Homer is going to play for me, and we've been practicing like crazy. It's going to be awesome! And I am so excited to hear from another leader of the church. Then the week after, we will have ANOTHER MLC with that same General Authority. I got so lucky getting called as a Sister Training Leader this transfer, they never have this many special MLCs with leaders. Super cool!

We ate with Chileans twice in a row this week! It took me a couple minutes each time to adjust to understanding their accent, but it was so fun to rehash some Chilean memories with them. Oh yeah, yesterday I had to give a talk in church (that was stressful,) but afterwards my good-ol-Chilean-friend in the ward came up to me and said that I sounded like a Chilean. BEST COMPLIMENT EVER. I was so psyched to hear that. I love the people I serve, but when it comes to the accent...well...Chile rules.

Oh, back to the "loser-list"...after church we went with the Relief Society President to do some visits with her. (By the way, my absolute respect for all women who fulfill calling has been magnified 189483x since being a missionary and working so closely with them.) Anyway, we pretty much sat through a scream-fest of a 30-year-old daughter and her mother (who lives with her.) They both expected the Relief Society President to come to their house and solve their problems, but they just ended up screaming at each other. I have never seen such hating looks between mother and child. It was so sad. Hermana Socorro tried to solve things as best she could, but they just screamed, screamed, blamed, blamed, and finally she just stood up and left, and we followed her out. 

I have the best family ever.

Some quotes:

Me: "Ugh, we can't use any of these pictures, look, my fat roll!"
Hermana Johnson: "WELL SUCK IT IN."

"I didn't choose Taco Bell, Taco Bell chose me." --Hermana Johnson

"Don't knock doors of bad people because they steal stuff KAY?!" --random little girl

Am I repeating quotes right now? I'm really sorry. I am running out of things to say.

The point is...the church is true! SUPER true. I love the gospel! I love being a missionary! 

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. Hope your week was fantastic. 

READ AND PRAY AND GO TO CHURCH AND ACCEPT CALLINGS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.

Love, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment