Sunday, September 28, 2014

The field is white....letter from September 8, 2014

Welcome to Mesa, Arizona, where prepared investigators just fall out of the sky and land on your front door.

I'm serious....it's unreal. This has never, ever, EVER happened to me ONCE in my ENTIRE mission. Yeah, okay, I've seen it happen to a few other people...a FEW others, not a lot. Maybe like...twice. But something's weird in Mesa, guys. Weird...but super awesome. 

I LOVE ARIZONA. It's pretty schlikin'. 

It is seriously UNREAL. Do you remember the investigator and boyfriend that I was talking about last week? Well, she's on date. TWO DATES! One to get married (October 10th) and the next to be baptized (October 11th.) I GET TO PLAN A WEDDING, GUYS!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED! These two are the best. She's the one who has had a pretty rough past, but went through her repentance process and is now ready to be baptized! And her boyfriend is still super awesome. He wasn't quite ready to commit to the baptismal date, but he had nothing against being married on the 10th. He is just a super happy person! They both are. Oh man, we are so excited. Hermana Homer and I got into the car last night after our lesson with them and just started squealing like girls. WE GET TO PLAN A WEDDING!!!!!!!! We are hoping so badly that Hermana Homer wont get switched out in a few weeks (it's more likely that she will leave than me) because we want to do all this together! AGH WE ARE SO EXCITED. I am stoked.

Also...remember the other investigator I mentioned? Actually, I said that she was a referral that we hadn't met yet...well...SHE'S ON DATE TOO! She is quite a character, I'm not really sure how to explain her. She's just a really different person! But super nice, super friendly! Our first lesson with her, she asked when was the soonest that she could be baptized. We told her the 20th, and she said that she wanted to meet with us every day until them so that she could be prepared as fast as possible. Like...when has that every happened ever?!? The Lord is blessing us SO MUCH right now. Unfortunately, her husband is pretty uninterested in anything, but he is at least being supportive by driving her to church and to lessons...we'll work on it! 

We are working with quite a few other people, as well, but those two have a date and we are SO EXCITED! I turned to Hermana Homer and just said "what the heck is going on?? Why do people just pop out of nowhere in this Zone?" (Because this is not an uncommon thing in Mesa, apparently.) Hermana Homer just shrugged and said, "I think Mesa is where missionaries come to heal." 

Regardless of the "why", the point is that we are being SO BLESSED. I'm not going to lie, I have always wanted to be one of those missionaries that sees a miracle baptism like that...but I didn't think it would happen! I'm just super stoked. Miracles are real.

So, this is a bit of a different letter. I started with the investigators first. That was weird, I have never done that in the last 13 months I've been out here. I just...thought I'd change it up. Plus I was just super excited to share!! 

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH IT'S UNBELIEVABLE.

So right now we are in the middle of a flash-flood! IT'S THE BOMB. AND I'M WEARING BOOTS FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE TALCA. I guess you could call me an Arizonan now--it hits the high 80's and I'm bundling up like it's a blizzard. We woke up at 6:30 to the sound of pounding rain on the roof, so what did we do? We ran outside in bare feet and pajamas. (I'm going to get sick.) But the water came up over my ankles! Then on our way to email the road was like a river! I'll send a video. It was so cool. Arizona is the bomb.

Last Tuesday was Zone Meeting, so Hermana Homer and I had to do part of the Zone Training, and it was so fun! We pretty much taught the zone about developing Christ-like attributes. It was so fun. I love training. It made me miss being an actual trainer! But right after we had exchanges, and I got to go with the lovely Sister Vea in our area. Sister Vea is a brand-new English-speaking missionary, but she's actually just waiting for her visa so that she can go to Australia! It was so fun to go around with her, talk about goals, get to know her...we had a lot of fun! And that was actually the day that we first met Georgette...at one point, I had no idea how to respond to a question that Georgette had, and I just sat there wracking my brain for something to say, when Sister Vea (who had been silent up until this point) just started testifying of the power of faith. And I just sat back and listened, and it was so amazing, and at the end, Georgette said that she had goosebumps and that she would finally ask God to know if the church was true! IT WAS SO AWESOME. #greeniemiraclesRreal

Hermana Homer got really sick, so we had to go home early on Thursday night. We arrived home at about 7:30 pm, and Hermana Homer spent the rest of the night throwing up or sleeping, so it was up to me to plan. Sister Barnes just bought a massage chair, so I was like, heck yes, I am sitting in that thing for three hours and watching Bible videos after I plan. (I AM SUCH A MISSIONARY.) So I went over, sat in the chair, and started planning for the next day. Well, I finished ten minutes later, put my iPad down, closed my eyes, tried to relax...

Nope. I sat there for maybe ten seconds, opened my eyes, and was like, "I gotta do something." Then I was like...nah. Take a nap. So I closed my eyes again, and then they opened, and I felt super restless, and I was like, "gotta do something!!" So I turn off the chair, stand up, and start walking around. Then I see some clothes I hadn't hung up yet, so I do that...then some things on the bathroom counter, so I put them away...then my books out of order, so I order them...then before you know it I have spent an HOUR AND A HALF JUST CLEANING THINGS. Then I'm like, what now. Everything is clean. So I go into Sister Barnes' sewing room and read a bunch of her family history books, then I go look for Sugar for like a half hour (she hides when Sister Barnes isn't home) and then it's TEN THIRTY AND TIME TO GO TO BED. 

I AM NOT GOING TO ADJUST WELL TO NOT HAVING A STRICT SCHEDULE, GUYS. This was the first time I have had some down time in a year (that's the last time that one of my companions has been sick) and I couldn't sit down for two minutes! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!

Some quotes from the week:

"I literally think I am having a baby right now." --Hermana Homer

"This is good but it tastes like B.O." --Hermana Homer

"Oh I loved being sick in middle school it was the BEST." --Elder Norwick (District Leader)

This week we also contacted a lady who was supposed to be a great referral. But when we got to her house, she firmly said that she did not have time to listen to us, because of how much she works and cleans and generally has to do in a day--everyday. We get told this a lot, actually, but this time it was different, I don't know why. It was...sadder. She was so firmly stating how little she cared to meet with us. We left her with our number, and lovingly promised her that if she made time for God, He would make sure she always had time to get what she needed to do done. She waved us off and said, "yes, yes, I know that, I know that. It's true. But as for now...I need to work more." 

We got in the car, drove to the next street, parked, and just had a really good discussion about how sad it is when people do not make time for God. How people don't get it! It just made us both sick to our tummies. 

MAKE TIME FOR GOD! He will bless you! Do you trust Him?

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. KEEP PRAYING AND BEING GOOD PEOPLE AND ALL THAT JAZZ. Just be awesome. 

Lots of love from the good AZ, Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment